BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I hate to say this, but there's a good chance that it cant be tigged either now. Tigging requires the metal to be ultra clean with no trace of any contaminants at all.
sort of like this:

So you need to get it back to raw ally, even if it means taking a course file and cutting it back.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Mine was mig welded...!!!!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

BMWE36V8 wrote:Mine was mig welded...!!!!
Still needs to be clean though.
Eliot Mansfield

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

getting it back clean was easy, you just heat it back up to 700 odd degrees and brush it off with a stainless wire brush...

so what your saying is though, the ally between the 2 bits has to be exactly the same composition, and so does the tig rod?

Dang, thats going to be a hard order to fill, I thought I could just have it done with aluminium angle like the one on here....

Dilemas now, dilemas

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

beelzebubs wrote:getting it back clean was easy, you just heat it back up to 700 odd degrees and brush it off with a stainless wire brush...

so what your saying is though, the ally between the 2 bits has to be exactly the same composition, and so does the tig rod?

Dang, thats going to be a hard order to fill, I thought I could just have it done with aluminium angle like the one on here....

Dilemas now, dilemas
No you dont need to match the ally up. Although one is cast and the other (angle) is extrusion you should still get a weld as the o/p has shown.
Not convinced that just brushing of the old braze (as thats all it was really) is "clean" enough.
It may work, it may not - as soon as the person welding starts moaning "this aint fooking clean" accompanied with black smoke you will know!
Eliot Mansfield

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Yeah does need to be clean................ And the guy who did mine, he's mig cost him £7k and is proper cool, it can weld just about any thing, obviously with the correct wire in it........ He also did my water housing.....

Frenchguy

Post by Frenchguy »

BMWE36V8 wrote: You could probably do the n62 route, it just needs some developement and I'm sure it would work, even if modded it to bypass filter housing
I may be wrong but wouldn't it be easier to use the N62 oil filter and bypass the E36 one (and there would be one fewer thing in the engine bay)?

BMWE36V8 wrote:I decided for power output and possibly forced induction in the future that I would not use the BMW engine management and go for an Emerald K6 unit instead
Here's a taste of a supercharged 4.4 V8 in an E36:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-jSf4ss3M

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

I'd use both, can never be to clean.

as to N62 pump, well that one is still on eGay for £200 + change, I wish i knew about it before i started on the x5 4.4 pump. £50 for the pump, £40 for the shaft, £70 for the ally welding, £30 in ,,,, um,,,,failed durafix, I'm only a tenner away from a bolt on pump :(

choke

Post by choke »

So would the n62 pump bolt straight on, no clearance issues? I'm really interested in fitting a v8 to my coupe, but the only thing I'm not overly keen on is modifying an oil pump, just in case :wink:

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello again,

Just a quick update, changed the oil and oil filter yesterday and put a new set of plugs in the beastie, she is going well and has done just over 6000 miles since she has been on the road.....

I still haven't had it mapped properly yet, fueling is getting close as ECU is set to adaptive off AFR target map, so she is running ok, but would like to get the ignition map set up for best performance.......

And performance wise she has embarrased a few porsche, audi and bmw m-sports and the odd motor bike..... and apparently according to a mate of mine sounds like a super car when your hard on it.....

And apart from the 19 miles to the gallon, she still has huge grin factor.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted:

choke

Post by choke »

Have you been hammering it to get that sort of milage, or is that motorway cruising? Not that fuel economy is really a consideration with 4.4 litres :-P

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

I have used for work for about three months, I'm crew chef for a drag mustang, so I've been to santa pod in it 6 times, and I have been on a few cruses and just general driving about, the thing is you don't have to kane it to go fast, but it does sound cool when you do so she's been thrashed a few times, and I still love it..........

I was going to enter Fighting Torque at woodbridge air field on the 7th august but it's benn cancelled not enough entries, which is a big shame, would have liked to see what she could have done without having watch the mirrors for blue flashing lights....!!!!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Steve, you live just round the corner from me! I always hear that unmistakable V8 burble, when your car drives past. I did wonder what it was, it was only last week, as I heard her coming that I rushed to our bedroom window, and saw this blue E36 in sleeper form cruise past! I thought my eyes were playing me tricks, till a quick Google of "BMW E36 V8 in Woodbridge" lead me here. Awesome.

I used to have a V8-powered Audi A4 B5 - you probably saw it around, it was unmistakable in Audi Inca Orange Pearl, with 18" BBs splits, and B5 RS4 bodywork.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello, yeah thats me, but shes met black (does look dark blue at certain angels), I do remember seeing your audi floating about, haven't seen it lately though.....??? Did you sell it..??

I have just changed the wheels on mine, got staggered alpina 17" on there now, looks even more sleeperish.... Love it..!!!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

I didn't sell the Audi - unfortunate accident on the A14 April 2010. Wooden pallet came off an Italian-registered rig, and with me behind at 70 mph, I didn't stand a chance. I survived, car got written off.

I'll keep an eye out for you, currently running an Audi S8 in Aqua Blue, same engine I installed in my old A4. Gathering parts for conversion from 5-speed Tiptronic to 6-speed manual.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”