BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

I do love the old granny and coupe even better.....

You could probably do the n62 route, it just needs some developement and I'm sure it would work, even if modded it to bypass filter housing, if I was going to do another I think I would look into it, a lot less work than cutting up housings etc, hind sight is a wonderfull thing..... Good luck with your's though, sounds like its coming along nicely......

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

BMWE36V8 wrote:I do love the old granny and coupe even better.....
:)

BMWE36V8 wrote: N62 sump has a hole from side to side for cross shaft for the four wheel drive and is around 4" deep at the front and about 8" at the back.......

Steve.
hmm, not the n62 sump I found :)

BMW N62 V8 - Upper Engine Oil Pan
BMW E63 650i N62 4.8l

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Are sweet, that may work quite well, I will keep an eye out for one, bet its not cheap from BMW..!!!!

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

lol, I wouldnt even consider anything new from BM. My reasoning is, a pump wopuld never fail in a million years, the only reason they would ever be on eGay is if the rest of the engine got buggered, like cooked, or dodgy fuel taking out linings, or worst case catastroic chain faliure....so buying used shouldnt ever be an issue.

I paid £40 + 8 postage for my x5 pump, and inside its like new.

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

As I say, at the mo I'm waiting on an acetlyne reg so I can get a bit more heat for this Durafix to work, but this is how mine is currently waiting.

With Durafix you can weld dis-simmilar metals, as long as they are non ferrous, but not including stainless, so copper to ally is fine

Then once that is done, I shall be adding this for strength

Frenchguy

Post by Frenchguy »

There's quite some creative thinking going on here!

Good luck and keep us posted!

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Man you've stretched it, you have gone one journal further than I did...!!!

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

I know. What I can't understand, is you said you used the standard gear box mount.

When I fitted it, it sat nicely in place, the rear water rail didn't foul, and the gearbox mount fitted in the front 4 holes a treat.

Now it looks like the engine could go back another inch, but the next 2 gearbox mount holes to line up are 2 1/2 inches further back.

so I can see how going back an inch to put the pump where you have it, but this means the gear box doesnt line up...does that make sence?

It might be where my engine was slightly nose high (from where it was with my modifed subframe, the engine could go about 3/4 of an inch lower), now it's going to be sitting in level, that 2.5 inches might be obtainable?

Either way, long or short it will do the same jobbie. Only thing that was crossing my head earlier is, would that length of 22mm copper take the pressure, so I've cut a length of steel pipe that sits inside the copper a treat, that way I can still Durafix between the ally and the copper tube.

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

BMWE36V8 wrote:Hello again,

I used a x5 4.4 m62 v8 oil pump and chain,......
Ah, re reading this, it answers a question I was going to ask, the chain is to long, But instead of removing the timing chain to gain access to the pump chain, I just made me a chain link extracter and shortened it 1 link :)

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Yeah, my engine does sit fairly level, the only problem I had was with the rear water housing, which I cut off and had rewelded at different angle, it now clears the brake pipes on the bulkhead by 1/4 inch...........

Is your gearbox mount different to mine, I did start with a six cylinder car, wondered if mounting could be different........

Oil pressure, hmmm.......... I don't know what a piece of cooper would take, but I can tell you that mine gets up to nearly 6 bar when she is cold and revved over 2000 rpm and runs 5.2 bar when hot over 2500 rpm.......

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

thats some pressure.....1 bar = 14.5037738 pounds per square inch, thats 87psi, the copper tube can take 170psi easily, Happy days :)

and my first attempt with this durafix stuff went.....um......well it went :)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

So the oil pressure is going up that copper tube that is brazed onto the ally part? :shock:

I would of used some good ally tubing and took the whole engine to be tig welded properly.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

Google Durafix, watch the videos, and then make a decision from there :)

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hmmmm........

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

I know, and as much as I hate to admit defeat, today, I took my soldered item off the engine, then made a frame to use as a template, then cleaned it back up to standard, ready to find someone who can tig on monday.

that Durafix loves ally but doesnt adhear to copper worth a damn.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”