Uncobra, the V8 FrankenHealey

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Ian

It looks brilliant

When is ETD garage and ETA fun street?

Ian

Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Ian,

I have a full track day booked at evil Keevil on 6th August for setup and tracking, tyre pressures etc.

I also hope to have a GTech performance measuring jobby for provisional performance figures and when that's all over a general hooning session.

Then as soon as possible off to a rolling road to see if my 325 USA horsepower are 'my little ponies'.

Then it's fuel injection over the winter as the next project :D :D :D

Cheers,

Your namesake

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

AJ

Post by AJ »

WOW havent been down in ages amazing how much its progressed nice to see some of the bits an bobs on there i made before i left :D

AJ

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

AJ,

you are sadly missed but it's no good reminiscing about the good old days. Get your 4rse on a train and come on down.

You can't be a sh33p sh4gg3r all your life. :D :D :D

Ian

AJ

Post by AJ »

I'm down at the moment actually helpin the old man (hope he don't read this) out for a few days. Not on your car though not that lucky..

AJ

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

The electrics are finished :D

Shame I'm gonna have to pull it apart for the injection ECU this winter :(

Image[/img]

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

The zorst boys did a very professional job. There's about 5mm of clearance round the 'box and the end pipe is stainless.

....the pipes look a lot better from above rather than at ground level

They're supposed to be 100dBA max but we'll have to see at the track

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Slight amount of hose bodging to get the cooling working.

Only 'major' jobs left to do are install the throttle cable, put in the driver's seat and make a raising block so my poor little size sevens can actually reach the pedals :lol:

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

looking very nice indeed.
quick question, what are the wheels?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Mike,

they're Fleabay Compomotive ML's. Got six for £300 so I've got two sat in the garage with 'drag' tyres on waiting for that wonderful newbie day at the 'Pod or elsewhere. I've always like the Minilite style wheels and had them on my old Healey. If you're looking around beware that there are some dodgy replicas / companies. There's a horror story on the old Forum if you look here http://www.v-8.org.uk/snitzforum/topic. ... s=minilite.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
I remember that thread, partly why I asked, your ones looked rather nice, better made than many. Its is getting around to the point where I have to start lookinf for wheels for the Mclaren, the only thing for certain is the BBS things I have now won't do! torque thrust II might (if I can get them in wide enough width for the rear and 17" or 18" diamiter) whay I would really like is a suitable sized version of the old Revolution 5 spoke
but able to take a modern wide tyre.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

McClaren???? F1??? :D :D :D

Now I get the significance of the 'Kiwicar' name.

Got a picture?

Let me know the PCD, diameters and widths you're looking for and I'll ask my friend who has a mezzanine full of old Lola and sports racer wheels. If he doesn't have anything he may know where something may be found.

Cheers,

Ian

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Not a picture of mine :lol:
http://www.mathewscollection.com/images ... _3_450.jpg
Mclaren M1C from a autotune kit, chassis stiffened and an Audi box (which I will blow to bits first time I hit max torque :twisted: ).
Hence also it needs to be on FI stacks for the inlets! 8)
The wheels are Jag PCD (4.75 inches in real money with with a 74.1 mm center bore) with jag front uprights and re-studded Granarda rear hubs, I may convert the whole lot to jag centerlocks (or any centerlocks) if the right wheels came up, I have 350 mm AP disce up front with XK8 315 front discs on the rear so i need atleast 17" fronts and 16" rears, oh and it has to be road leagle :shock: I don't want alot really :lol:
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Some of the trackday / shakedown day pictures are in. It was the best of times; the worst of times. I could drive it for the first time in sixteen months but not everything went right but I didn't stuff it :)

Got to Keevil, had the newbie briefing, went out on the acclimatisation laps and then the open pit lane started. The car went very well but we had a water dump problem after every run :( and we hadn't taken any water! However the most enterprising team member begged a can full of the old cooling fluid from the event organisers

Where's the leak???

then a few drops of oil appeared at the front and the back so out came the jack

It looked like the timing cover seal had given up and that we were losing
copious amounts of oil from the back axle.

and eventually the vibration caused one of the bonnet locks so get out of sequence so we couldn't get the the bonnet open - end of play :cry: :cry: :cry:

H O W E V E R

the good parts were awesome

She goes like a scalded cat in a straight line
Got the popular vote as the best sounding car of the day
Out-accelerated a Porsche 997 GT3 RS (he may have been in the wrong gear but I don't care :lol: )
Goes round corners better than I thought for a 1954 car with a huge weight in the front
and the brakes, while needing upgrading, still hauled her down to a reasonable cornering speed from 110mph without fading too much

These are off the event photographer's website hence the watermarks

WATERMARKS NOW REMOVED

this is the view most of the other drivers saw of us on the straights :D

them Caterhams are buggers in the twisty bits though and then I spun out through a combination of over-enthusiasm, too much steering input and rear wheel steer and, of course, a lack of talent.

Go away you nimble git

So now it's back to sorting oil leaks, putting in an expansion tank to stop the overflow, fix the bonnet catches, get an MOT etc etc etc :( :( :(
Last edited by kev_the_mole on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Congratulations Ian

She looks great and all cars have a few niggles when irst out the box.

Hopefully repairs will be done soon than time for mor play!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Your Garage Scene”