The TVRlux (TVRV8 into Hilux) with supercharger

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

tvrlux
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

The TVRlux (TVRV8 into Hilux) with supercharger

Post by tvrlux »

Hello guys,

I've posted a 'hello' and a little bit about my project in the general chat forum.... But I thought I might take some photos and keep a record of the build...

So first the starting point.

My truck is a 1985 Hilux, which started life as a 2.2l petrol 4x4 hilux.

Before I bought it someone had converted to a rv8 - although this done with a very liberal coat of bodge... but the price was right - and i just liked it!

It really wasn't particularly great though, first thing that needed attention was the exhaust system ( if you can call flexi pipe an exhaust system) to side mufflers which sounded pretty rough and a bit too loud...

So first thing I did was remove and remake the system in stainless. There's not a lot of room on the drivers side, so I ran the pipe around the sump and did a nice big powerflow stainless twin muffler with twin exits out the passenger side just ahead of the rear wheel...

sounds much nicer... (photo soon...)

BUT
still didn't seem to have much go... which is probably because it just wouldnt rev beyond about 3700 rpm... after that it would just break up/backfire through the carbs...

so, i started reading the internet.

First bit of bad news apparently - stromberg carbs seem to be hated by everyone... nevermind - i dont really think thats the biggest problem i had. The dizzy shaft has soo much play in it - it was ridiculous - so I whacked in a nice new one from RPI, along with one of their amplifiers and a set of magnecor leads - woohoo - now we can rev at least...

time to head off to see mr dyno and figure out where we are with the fueling - it sounds like it's detonating under load so i figure a bit of analyisis and perhaps some new needles might just the ticket...

Theres an old boy nearby who runs a dyno shop and is pretty handy with carbs nearby - so we booked a session, and put her on the rollers...

Anyway - it was quite an interesting morning - first run of the day... was a none to impressive 110 hp... but this would bounce up to about 125 with the CHOKE pulled out... (houston we have a problem)

So she's weak as hell as soon as you open the taps... I guess this is in part the K&N filters and open exhausts...

So we pulled the carbs and the old boy turned down the needles a bit to get some more juice in there...

On the rollers again, and between sorting a few carb issues and tweaking the timing we are showing a much healthier 150hp... (which i was quite happy with until the little mini you can see on the edge of shot rolled onto the same dyno and pumped out 165 - from 1.3 litres...)

Anyway - with the old boys warning that she was 'still weak up top' ringing in my ears I trundled off - And let me tell you - 150hp feels a world different to how it was when I got it! The old girl is actually pretty swift, given it's geared for about 90mph top speed...

So I trundled around like this for a while, doing little cosmetic bits... fitted some roll hoops and spotties to complete the look, well we all loved marty mcflys pickup - go on, admit it... (perhaps it was just me then)

All great until that dreaded nasty noise of a burnt out valve... and a bit of overheating etc...

so i limped home - and whipped out the old lump to see what the score was...

nice big engine bay is quite easy to work in... but UGLY messy - will sort that out before the engine goes back

then I find just what I'm looking for...

An engine in a TVR built for Classic touring car racing... sounds interesting spec and I can test drive it in the car (an old TVR wedge)

The guy who owns it also has a TVR griffith 500 in his garage and is a bit of an enthusiast. He's bought himself another 5ltr block and is building up a whole new engine as part of a rebuild of the wedge - and so is selling off the tuned 3.5 (which is a bit of a hairy beast, I'll be honest)

I take it for a drive - sounds beautiful - runs beautiful - revs lovely and clean, good oil pressure - clean as a whistle inside etc... so I take it!

And that's nearly up to date...
Last edited by tvrlux on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvrlux
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tvrlux »

The specs of the engine are apparently:

- Rover Vitesse 3.5ltr 'stiff' block
- Stage 3 heads
- Fully balanced
- forged ibeam rods & he pistons
- 234 Hydraulic cam (hydraulic lifters)
- Polished and ported 65mm intake
- Fully ported inlet manifold & trumpet base.
- 45mm 'short' carbon fibre trumpets
- Jag 73mm airflow meter.
- Jag 248cc/min injectors
- modified ECU (mark Adams)

It came with a Dyno printout - 224.7BHP @ 6650 rpm
So I called the dyno mob, and they knew the car well - and said it's an absolute peach of an engine *they thought the guy was bonkers to sell it and build another*

So - now i've got a lovely engine on the stand to replace the orrible old one - just gotta get my head round the mods needed for fuel injection.

My list...

Get fuel pump (thinking 044 or similar) and prefilter.
Get brackets for above.
Fit above
Fit fuel return line and fitting to tank
Fit and run new high pressure fuel lines

some leccy black magic - (gonna need some help here) although the loom looks pretty simple except for a couple of unidentified connections near the back of the engine.

nail it back in the truck

SIMPLES you say...

so then I'm looking for a fuel pump on fleabay - and I spot a supercharger kit!! ends in a few minutes - get the old itchy trigger finger and buy it...

And that's now on it's way from Ireland...

and here we are!!!

Ben

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Ben
Looks pretty good to me :D :D
That lung is gonna pull you like a train once on there.
Keep going and keep us posted okay.
Cheers
Paul

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Wow looks like a good project- awesome engine, so when are you going to get a good strong box and shafts in there to put up with the grip those huge tyres will be putting down?! :lol:
TC

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

That 'old boy' did my Landie as well. He was a bit surprised when I ran the BHP meter past the end of the scale...!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

tvrlux
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tvrlux »

Woohoo - finally the supercharger has arrived!

Likewise so has a megasquirt ecu from Extraefi - so I have lots to do on the weekend... Photos coming of the iron lung in place along with all sorts of other lovely shiny goodies!

tvrlux
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tvrlux »

So many packages arriving at the moment...

Unpacked the supercharger (and 4 boxes of bits) to find quite a daunting mechanical jigsaw puzzle...

But a few hours head scratching and a few good coats of looking at it...

And I now have a supercharged TVR V8!!!

So - thats all well and good - but outside there's still plenty of work to be done to the old gal to get her ready for the new lump...

Here's a pic of my mate who I've roped into helping- doing some stripping of bits from the Lux engine bay.

(in the background incidently is my mini which has a Honda Integra type R vtec engine (but only half an engine, so I wont bang on about 200hp and 8k rpm)

The truck was originally red - at somepoint this was blasted over with matt black - and then - again with white...

The outside is not too bad - but under the bonnnet is a mess.
flaking black over red in a white truck is just not a good look - so I've decided to bare metal, and respray the engine compartment and chassis rails...

hey ho - back to work I go...

Supercharger looks effin awesome - pictures dont do the setup any justice at all... something about that toothed belt just looks bangin![/img]

Return to “Your Garage Scene”