The mx5 Rv8,.. thing!

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Tom,

That's a great piece of work on the manifold and adaptor.

Kevin.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

:D Cheers guys, like I said I did have some pointers so it isnt completely fresh!

Just a thought- as I am using composite head gaskets this will have the opposite effect to when you skim the heads and have problems fitting the manifold in the valley due to the inlet port faces being too close together. Now the manifold will in effect be too narrow, or will the composite valley & inlet gasket pack it out to make it right?

TC

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

if they are the older heads your ports will be out of line, there isnt really much difference between the tin inlet and the LR comp gasket thickness wise. There is an aftermarket inlet though that looks like the comp head gasket construction and is a little thicker. The OEM is thin tin with black rubber type stuff on either side if you didn't know. You could always double up on the port mating surface, that might do the job for you.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

They are the gaskets I have- will try it when get there and see how well it all lines up!

I finished with the major porting yesterday- just polishing them up a bit now and got to look into making up a cutter to alter the spring seats for the doubles- and whip a little off the tops of the guides for the cam lift too!

Am also wondering whether to whip the crank and main bearings out again as really paranoid about how clean the oil feeds from the gallery to the mains are! It'll be a pain as everything is bolted and loctited in but not sure if my mind will rest otherwise- tho if there is any dirt in there at all it will only be soft ally- thoughts anyone?!?!?!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Tom,

If there was any machining done to the block I would vote for a thorough chemical wash and a rod through of all he gallerys prior to re-assembly, presumably the block has had a clean before any work took place.

Can't remember how many washes my block had, a lot of machining was done though, the block was fairly clean on first strip down but had a chemical clean and brush through of the gallerys to get rid any of the old gunk that may have been present.

Kevin.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Thanks Kevin, there was no machining done on the block but a little bit of ally flash removal and tidying up, I had given it a couple of good cleans with some chems and been through the dishwasher twice! Yesterday though I took out the crank and gave the oilways another brush through- as it turned out they were good anyway!

So everything back together but another Q- the 4.0 & 4.6 con rod bolts bolts can be used again can't they as they are not stretch bolts like the earlier ones?

TC

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

Hello Tom,
You can use your rod bolts. They are not stretch bolts.
http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... hlight=rod

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Excellent thanks Dimitri

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Tom,

Have you seen the Canadian MX5. It's in the bodywork secition.

Kevin.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Yes it is massive! I have never been a fan of mx-5's and actually hated them but the thought of a cheap modern little roadster with a massive engine, rear wheel drive, double wishbones all round as standard etc seemed quite appealing- especially stripped back to basics and finished in satin black like Olly's MG... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I wish I could afford some american muscle style deep dish rims that fill the arches right out but budget wont spread that far :(

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Another small bit I made yesterday- got a bit exited about it as it polished up quite well! Carb/blower adapter:

Edit: And got some bits through from V8 Tuner so have now machined my cam for the retaining plate which means it can go in the engine! Gave it 15thou clearance which must be better than no retaining plate!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Bit more progress on saturday- sunday was a wasted day tho which really annoys me! Heads are now as good as done (hurrah!) and have been gently bead blasted then thoroughly washed out- got my lsd (hurrah again!) which is good- now got to get some driveshafts made to suit :(
I made up a cutter for my guide bosses so my double valve springs now fit :D :D :D and also saved me about $160 from Summit Racing by making up my own tool and am extremely happy with the result!
Going to fit all the valves this weekend and sit the heads upside down and fill with light oil to check combustion chamber sizes and leave overnight to check that the seats are all tight and seal well. Then make up some outriggers for the rocker shafts and heads ready to go! I am also getting a quote for cryogenically treating the ally rockers to toughen them up a bit.

Oh- I also got a complete set of proper serp pulleys for my front end for £20, along with the toothed pulleys for my blower- so making an adapter to get the bottom drive pulley mounted. Lots on!!!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Well things are actually going back together now! I made up a thick ally spacer and adapter to hold on the crank blower drive pulley which (after warming up) slid straight onto the front pulley and bolted up nice n tight!
Blower is also back together now, I rebuilt it completely and made the drive receiver which is the top hat thing bolted onto the RH cog, made and polished the ally blanking plate on the rear and have done a small one for the front, and started on the billet ally drive snout!
Stainless cap head bolts all round, timing set is on and front cover back on permanently.
Once I torque up the heads and sort the lifter pre-load with the shim kit I have coming I will bolt the inlet manifold on, and the blower :D Then just have to finish the snout, jet the carb a bit richer for a starting point, then try the engine for size in the car :shock: and probably modify the sump and maybe the headers a bit...
shiny bits- couldn't resist!

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mx5v8 »

Looking good, can't wait to see it fitted. Have you figured out how it's going to slot in yet? My engine is out at the moment so if you need any photos of the brackets or subframe let me know.
Andy

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Lol I think its more a case of sitting in than slotting in :lol:

I should be fine, when its off the engine stand I will bolt on the gearbox and lower it in, then choc it in place and weld in some mounts and mark where I need to cut! Though if you would take a pic or 2 it couldn't hurt!

The problem I am having at the moment is trying to find some driveshafts to fit, I need sierra items but having trouble getting shaft lengths off people! If I had a few hundred £££ spare in my pocket I would get some custom made!

TC

Return to “Your Garage Scene”