My 16 valve GTi........

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

My 16 valve GTi........

Post by adikt »

Here she is! a '78 MGB V8 GTi. Been working on it a few months now. Bit rusty in the usual places (Floors, Doors, Bonnet, Wings). Got big plans for her (She's called Brenda BTW) proposed

spec list (student loan dependant!) 3.5 EFI RR V8, Stage 1 heads, P&P inlet manifold, Modified plenum, Bigger injectors, KMS Engine Management (fuel only), Grumpy Cam, Rhodes lifter, Duplex timing chain, etc, etc.

The car itself with be completely stripped out, minimal chrome, no carpets or sound deadening, GRP bonnet, wings, Front ST spoiler, Rear Sebring, MGC bonnet, 2 bucket seats, thats it!

Imagine all draped in Ford Aquarius Blue Metallic, Mmmmm

Donations welcome :lol:

P.S. FAO Perry - I'll see you on the strip! :D

If it dont fit, force it. If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I'll see you both on the strip hopefully!!!!

Where did you get the ST spolier from mate?

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

I got the spoiler and all my fibreglass panels from the MGBHive. Although I was chatting to the bloke I bought my gearbox off and he used to work for honeyborne mouldings, who supply the hive. So I'll be going direct to them from now on!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Nice project, if you haven't got a C bonnet yet, Honeybourne mouldings do a very good RV8 bonnet which is designed for clearance of the EFI plenum, mine was only £84.00 and good quality with all the fittings nicely bonded in, I also got the Sebring front and rear valences from them.

There's some pics of my car in the thread My MGBV8 a bit further down the page.

Good luck with the car, there's quite a few B's on the BBS now so if you need any advice you know where to come.

Kevin.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Does the RV8 bonnet fit well with a standard MGB front end?

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Ollie.

Yes it was a pretty good fit,mine was a little high in relation to the near side wing but they have since made a new improved mould.

Theres a pic on my post below.

Kevin.

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

Kevin, I have also seen your car before! The RV8 bonnet looks cool, but I have my heart set on a C bonnet. I saw an alloy one at the Stoneleigh MG spares day and the chap wanted £600 notes for it! I'm still debating whether to blend in the rear valance or not?! Body Filler does weigh quite a bit!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

adikt wrote:Kevin, I have also seen your car before! The RV8 bonnet looks cool, but I have my heart set on a C bonnet. I saw an alloy one at the Stoneleigh MG spares day and the chap wanted £600 notes for it! I'm still debating whether to blend in the rear valance or not?! Body Filler does weigh quite a bit!
The Honeyborne rear valence is a very good fit, we just bonded and pop rivetted into position, there was very little filler used to blend it in.

As yours is a rubber bumper you'll need the two extension pieces that go under the rear light if you haven't already got them. BeeHive have them and my bodywork guy bonded them on with liquid weld, I wasn't sure they be that solid but gave them a pull and they were solid as a rock.

Kevin.

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

I've got the two extension pieces (which way up do they go? One end seems wider?!) The valence seems about 1/2 inch wider than the car each side, although the car has been "messed around". I think i'll rivet it to pull it in then fill it.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Just spotted that you haven't closed the chassis members where youv'e cut off the supports for the front rubber bumper, I assume you not going to leave them like that or water is going to get into the box section and it will rot very quickly.

Just cut some closing pieces and either weld or at least bond them on.

Kevin

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

They will get welded in, pumped with waxoyl and a stroke of seam sealer for good measure as soon as I get some more welding gas and a new regulator. The only job I can do without welding at the moment is fitting the front wings and it looked so good I had to take the pic! Money is very tight at the mo so no more goodies till student loan day in april!

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

"student loan dependant specs"

That sounds familiar.... ;)

Stick at it.
Image -JC.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

At least the back of the GT is the right colour :wink:

I'm liking the idea of the Blue mind. Sounds like its gonna be a screamer mate. Forget meeting me on the strip. Chod is the one who will be blowing all the B's away soon....

I've moved to Honeybourne as well now as they are by far the cheapest for placcy panels eh?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

Are you in the MG drag racing club? Would like to join......

Unfortunatly I only found out about honeybourne recently and I only have 1 panel left to buy :? although I cant really grumble about the Hive, very competitive prices and always friendly staff!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

All you need to do to join the MG Drag Racing Club is turn up at one of our get togethers with your MG mate.
Then I class you as a member. Thats it really. I havent had time to update the website for ages but I've got half the words written so one of the chaps can update for me.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Your Garage Scene”