My 300e Thames project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

Reet, i decided to kick up fron end so the van sits lower. Heres how i done it.

I measured where i wanted the kick up to be. Obviously had to be engine side of the bulkhead and not to far from the front clip but couldnt have it too close as the lower arms may foul the bottom of the kick up. I measured they had to be 31" long with 2 45 degree cuts back over and two 45 degree cuts on the front end so when the fronts put back on there is no boxing in to be done. A mate managed to get me 2 35" long bits of 3x2 box section. I still aint bought a chop saw so got a local engineering place to do the 45 degree cuts for me. Charged me £8, :x So im going to buy my own chop saw as still chassis work to do. I clamped the freshly cut pieces along side the front legs so the front was level and marked off where the back of the box section sat and the 45 degree angle. Ian, aka Dustyrusty did some fancy calculation and advised having an overlap of 6" (double the box size).

I then clamped a piece of angle iron to the chassis so the grinder would hopefully follow a clean line so it would mean less work to box in and look neater. This was repeated both sides.

First one done. One more to go.

No going back

I then clamped the top to the bottom using the marks i made making sure again it was 6" and square with the rest of the chassis.

A few tacks to make sure it doesnt move.

Then i put the inch box section back across the two legs and left them clamped while i welded them up. I measured before, during (quite a few times) and after to make sure we were still square and as it was.
I ran a line of weld along the trough that the two box section formed then grinded if flat. I then ran one line of weld either side of the weld and ground that flat. I will box in top and bottom when the shell comes back off and the final weld up and paint is done.

I have since fitted the front end again and checked im happy and am more than happy till i forgot about lying back the front clip about 3 degrees like Ian Mockett told me. I spent a day installing, moving and measuring up the front clip to tack in place until i remebered what Ian said, :huh: SO back off it all came to cut the cross member, again. managed to do that and with a quick help from the wife to put the arms on again as buy this time my arms were dropping off as they aint light, i again moved and measured so i could tack it in. All sorted, measured up great, auick grab the welder before it moves. Tacked in and measured again. Hadn't moved but it looks funny with the chassis rake being 3 degrees downward and the fron clip 3 degrees backover. The top and lower arms dont sit level to the chassis rails but it will drive better than if flat.

I do erratically, often with bits falling off.

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

Ive got a few pics of van with the front end clamped on. Sorry they are took with my phone as camera batterys were flat. I also have some pics of my new 4 bar brackets. Pics of the front end was the 2nd time i had tacked it in place but 1 1/2" further back to clear the front wings. Still not sure about it though. Will wait till wings etc are mounted and get it pushed outside.

I cant get to the front of the van to take a pic as shelves are in front and only enough room to squeeze scooter down. Heres the best i can do with my phone.

Here are my new 4 bar brackets, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chassis bracket

Axle bracket

Can you tell what they are made from? :thumb up:

Kris @ Popbrowns sent me a paper template of the actual brackets so i made templates out of cardboard so i can mount them to tell how long the 4 bars have to be. Would use these but think they might go mushy in the rain, :laugh:

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

Got me toys today. I know they are nowt suprising but im excited. Van should be rolling in a few weeks. Not going to rush into starting it as thats when i ***** things up,

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

As i have my 4 bars thought i would start. Im going to mount the brackets on the outside edge of the chassis rail going forward so they are closer to the wheels but so if i want i can still get 10x15's on the back. We made sure the axle was in the middle and sitting straight. The wife laid a long spirit level along the outside chassis rail onto the axle and made a mark. Then used the axle brackets and marked it around the axle so when out from under the van i can tack weld the brackets on, hopefully, :laugh:

I knew the chassis brackets needed altering and needed to cut 2" out. The bracket wont hang over either side of the chassis but clears it fine.

Brackets as they were bought.

I then marked 2" down and used a set square to draw the cut line.
Then marked either side and front.

Clamped in a vice to cut,

Then clamped together to grind edges flat.

Laid it on the chassis and seems to sit exactly where i want it. Hope fully tomorrow i will be able to task them on. Gives you an idea here.

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

I decided to brackets on today. Started by the wife pulling the axle out from under the van after it was jacked up.

WAS A PICTURE HERE BUT WIFE WANTED ME TO TAKE IT OFF AS IT WAS HER BENDING OVER MOVING THE AXLE. :clap:

Then laid the spirit level along the chassis as i wanted the edge of the bracket to be level with the outside edge of the chassis.

A quick clean up.

Make sure its square before tacking it on. Maybe a bit over kill but wanted to make sure they were square.

Ok, will be honest here, i sausaged it up the first time. I cut too much off the brackets and only realised when the passenger side was tacked on. I didnt want to bother the wife and ask her to pass me the cardboard template i had made. I just went off memory which was correct but i forgot i didnt cut the full 2" out i thought i needed and just cut out 1" 1/2. Yup, picked up the cardboard template while under the van and found my mistake, half an inch, :laugh:. Cut the tacks back off and had another go and the wife assisted fully as felt rather guilty thinking it was her fault. Got both sides done piece of cake and right, hopefully :thumb up: .

Anyone notice the last picture on the back part of the chassis is nearly flat against the chassis top? Now compare to other two. Had to raise it half an inch so luckily i kept the bits i cut off the bracket which will need put back in :mad: Tomorrow im attempting the axle brackets and these need ground out a little. I cant sausage that up, i hope, :laugh: Will add pics as i go.

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

Anywho, back axle is in and connected up thanks to the help from the wife. Firstly i set up the axle where i could get access on the scooter and it was level. I set the diff pinion @ 4 degrees as advised as a starter. I aint got the engine to mount with box to get a correct alignment but was told 4 degrees is about right. Level looks like it says 5 degrees but trust me i spent an hour and a half making sure it was right, :laugh: Notice the bubble in the spirit level aswell. :thumb up:

Got one side tacked on. Then the other the same way using a clamp, spirit level, tape measure and a wife, :laugh:

Only put two tacks on the top of the mounts and had a measure. Seemed ok till i measured the bottom right hand mount. Was 3mm out. OOHHHHHH SAUSAGE, i thought my luck wouldnt fall through to the next day. The had a measure and realised as i clamped up the bracket it must have moved forward 2-3mm. AHHHHH FUDGE. Shut the door and came in the house. Went out today and cut the tacks off the offending bracket, cleaned them up and tried again. Success. Both perfect, (hopefully) I measured everwhere and spirit levelled everywhere till i worn them out, :laugh:

Time to shout of the wife and kick the axle under the van. Went well and the wife was knackered, :laugh:

Got it all lined up till i realised it was back to front, ooooops.

Jack van back up and pull oot and turn around, 10 mins later its back under.

Got the 4 bars loosely bolted up and the wheels sit where they should in the arch although axle needs a little teasing to get it smack in the middle where it should be.

This sides about 3-4 mm out before the re-jig.

Had a re-jig and im very happy with it. 4 bars sit straight to the front chassis rails, they slit up at about 3-4 degrees towards the chassis.

If anyone wonders why i have put them inboard a little is because im eventually going to put 10x15 or maybe 12x15's on if they will fit. :thumb up:

Heres a few more piccies.

Also those big numb 4 brackets hanging down off the rear kickup will be cut off when i have the chassis stripped again for a final full weld up and paint.

This pics taken through the window

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

First time the van has been out of the garage in 2+ years so thought id take some pics. Sorry they were only off my phone.

The wheels look well pi$$ed in this but they are actually fairly straight.

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

Heres some better pics of it out of garage today.

Here it is loosley dressed,

I dug out the bit i cut off the old front end so i had something to go off and retained the bonnet mounting points.

So could move the van in and out the garage if need be i fashioned so support, dont think it work very well as a permanent feature :laugh:

Yup, its a bit off wood from the steering rack to the grill and a piece of shoelace tying the front panel so it doesnt curl out over. But the wood isnt any piece of old timber, ohh no, its a eg off a pine chair, :laugh:

Then i dug these out. Its my 2 bar grill, :laugh: thats all it had on and someone had removed the sunvisor aswell prior to me getting it.

Bit of damage was already done when i got it and as the rest of the van, some kind person covered everything including the brightwork in emulsion. Its kept the chrome in very good condition.

After i cleaned off the paint off one and gave it a wipe,

And this is what the metal looks like on the inside and inside corners,

Going to buy 7 ft of 1" box section to mount front panel. Will post pics when ive got it and making process.

markv8

van

Post by markv8 »

wow what great fabrication, lovely van and improving every day cant wait for more

leepop633
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by leepop633 »

I aint touched it since before christmas as bought another discovery which was more rotten than i thought, lol. Be back on with van soon as finished Disco.

Return to “Your Garage Scene”