the scoobaru ---- warning to 56k modem users

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

the scoobaru ---- warning to 56k modem users

Post by scoobyv8 »

thread from the old site
http://www.v-8.org.uk/snitzforum/topic. ... IC_ID=5023

due to the pash weather we've had up here recently ive not really got on with the project. but today as i'm off work (using holidays before i lose them) i thought id have a wee tinker about with the car

nothings fitted as yet the engines only sitting of a few metal poles for support. so i can get an idea of how things will go together. without carbs on, the inlet manifold just touches the bonnet (in the last pic) and the sumps not on either so the whole lot will have too sit maybe an inch higher. so as thought the bonnet will need modified. perhaps a capri bulge on it, i always liked capri's

also theres no room whatsoever for the watter pump / oil pump assembly. but if you look at the other pics the subaru gearbox thats getting binned sits a mile out from the bulkhead so by trying to tuck the LT77 gearbox (still to buy) close into the bulkhead i think i might just have enough space for a radiator under the slam pannel, but i'l take that one as i come to it

anyways enjoy the piccys
George

The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Your getting there. I think you will have loads of room once you sort out the bulkhead and floor to get the box back. Having the engine sitting that far forward of the wheels would be so bad on the handling it wouldn't be funny anyway.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Rover V8 power in a Subaru chassis?!? Sounds like a recipe for muchos fun!

As katanaman said, getting the engine as far back as poss will help immensely, although might (read: probably will!) require a bit of fabrication around the firewall and gearbox tunnel.

Ever thought of running EFI instead of carbs? Might be a bit more so sort out, but it will be more reliable, more tunable and has the potential to give much better bonnet clearance? Plus you could use the original tank/pump arrangement from the scooby (I think . . ?). It would definitely be lower that the carbs

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I agree, run efi - you can reduce the height of the plenums with a bit of trickery. Would look much better without the bonnet bulge - sleeper effect.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

thanks for the replys folks, in a way i'm wanting to modify the bonnet, theres no way i'l be using this as an everyday car, so ocasional weekend driving, and car shows is what i'm planning it for.

the old 1.6 bumper wont be going back on the car either, so by changing the bonnet, bumper (and i'd like to make wide arches on the rear to acomidate really wide tyres) i can probably give it a unique look. somthing of a show car.

i'm starting to get ahead of myself with the planning, when all that matters is getting it all in and working first.

i did consider efi, have a look back the old site under fueling. and in the end the verdict was that i wouldent save mutch space, and there was more hastle involved in the setup. i'm told a presure restrictor / valve should allow the use of the subaru fuel pump with su's. i just want it in and running and over time i'm sure i'l get round to most of the engine mods financially possible. (including a cam and efi)

what do you mean by lowering the height of the plenums? is that the big aloy airbox on top of the engine, and do you cut it down in size and weld it back together again?? if so its alot of work and a nice bonnet bulge seems the better and easyer way too go

George
The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

just a wee update

all the old wiring loom is bolted tight into the bulkhead behind the heater box and dash, so last weekend i poped it out.

as my subaru has an all in one loom and i'd rather save the managment part of the loom, for a side line project the next step will be to re connect the loom to all its switches, relays, and other components, out on the lawn. so i can safely remove the parts i need to connect my dash, lights, wipers and horn

a bit of a task! but i'd rather do it right :D

i dont have many places for storage as i'm doing this project in the garden. hence the mess in the back of the car

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

scoobyv8 wrote:i did consider efi, have a look back the old site under fueling. and in the end the verdict was that i wouldent save mutch space, and there was more hastle involved in the setup. i'm told a presure restrictor / valve should allow the use of the subaru fuel pump with su's. i just want it in and running and over time i'm sure i'l get round to most of the engine mods financially possible. (including a cam and efi)
George
Just got lucky and found the page over on spag's site - that shows how low you can go:
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/gallery/0 ... i_compare/

WRT to lowering the plenum, you machine the base etc - there's an MGB v8 site somewhere that explains it - but not a task for the backyard.
Eliot Mansfield

14500rpm

Post by 14500rpm »

Eliot wrote:
WRT to lowering the plenum, you machine the base etc - there's an MGB v8 site somewhere that explains it - but not a task for the backyard.
I think this is probably it:

http://www.mgbv8.co.uk/method1.htm

I have had 15mm shaved off the bottom of the trumpet base and my dad shortened the trumpets to suit - hopefully this should be enough to get the bonnet closed on my car, if not that site reckons you can get another 4mm off the top of the trumpet base and 8mm off the bottom of the plenum itself.

The second method on that site reckons on getting 23mm of the bottom of the trumpet base (!). You can find that page here:

http://www.mgbv8.co.uk/method2.htm

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

14500rpm wrote:
I think this is probably it:

http://www.mgbv8.co.uk/method1.htm

I have had 15mm shaved off the bottom of the trumpet base and my dad shortened the trumpets to suit - hopefully this should be enough to get the bonnet closed on my car, if not that site reckons you can get another 4mm off the top of the trumpet base and 8mm off the bottom of the plenum itself.

The second method on that site reckons on getting 23mm of the bottom of the trumpet base (!). You can find that page here:

http://www.mgbv8.co.uk/method2.htm
Yep that's the site i was thinking of.
Eliot Mansfield

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

progress thread
http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=#7491

i know its old progress, and nothing mutch has happened since. (we have just had a new baby) but it helps to have a link to tie it all together

i hope to get on with the project soon
George

Return to “Your Garage Scene”