Slow but steady progress rebuilding my '72 P6 3500

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

al mackenzie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Slow but steady progress rebuilding my '72 P6 3500

Post by al mackenzie »

Having just received a mail suggesting I might have to re-register on this forum 'cos I haven't posted enough recently, I thought I'd share my travails with the rest of you! Not having a regular income due to my precarious existence as a freelance graphic designer means things haven't been moving on as fast as I'd like, but this year my rebuild project has never-the-less seen considerable progress. Thanks to those splendid chaps at Classic Wheels Berlin GmbH, the 'Base Unit' of my beloved old Rover is no longer a rusty mess, all the rotten bits were cut out by their master panel beater and replaced with freshly formed new sheet metal. The front end is about to benefit from a chassis-stiffening kit which also beefs-up the lower suspension mount. After that I have to make my mind up whether to re-fit the original rear axle with De Dion tube, or go the whole hog and swap in a narrowed Jag IRS with LSD. Early in the new year I hope to have put enough money aside to finance all the ball joints and poly bushes to refit the suspension, at the moment I am still undecided as to whether or not to alter the rear axle or stay original. Meanwhile, back in my humble lock-up, I'm about to attempt my first engine rebuild on my second RV8 3.5 lump. Expect lots of rookie questions in due course. Hope this exempts me from being deleted as a member!
Forum users might enjoy a glance at my online photo diary, see www.cwberlin.de/resto-p6repair.html

'72 Rover 3500, 6yr back-to-the-bare-Base-Unit nut & bolt resto finished in time for her 40th birthday June 2012!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Like it. I've always had a soft spot for P6's.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I've also a soft spot for P6's - owned 6 in total, and owned a series 1 V8 for 13 years (know how much welding they need). My experience with the rear end is that I would swap it out for something more robust if you can.

Pete
Image Image

Return to “Your Garage Scene”