Westfield now in my garage !!! At last!!

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Westfield now in my garage !!! At last!!

Post by seight »

I'll try to keep this updated with progress of my Westfield build now that it is finally in my new garage at home rather than down the road at the inlaws.

First job will be engine out again to find out why the Saab clutch release keeps leaking when I bleed it :( :( and double check release bearing clearance to the clutch cover.

Then it's replace the head bolts with studs and new comp gaskets to try and fix the oil weeping from the head gaskets - even though all I've done since building it is fill the thing with oil via the rocker covers. The engine hasn't even run yet :( :( Could it be that I didn't get the right torque on the gaskets when using bolts?

Mike

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Sure oil is leaking from the head gaskets? - there's only a very small oil feed up through the head gasket. It could be valley gasket or rocker gasket, both which are somewhat easier to change than the head gasket!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

Oil definitely seems to be weeping from the gasket as there are no signs elsewhere. I used bolts with comp gaskets and was thinking maybe I didn't torque them right.

All I've done since the rebuild is fill it with oil via the filler cap in the rocker cover so 5l or so of oil went down through one of those oil feeds and the pushrod holes in the head.

Maybe it because so much oil went down the pushrod holes that there was some kind of capiliary round the head gasket edge and past my valley seals?

Mike :?: :cry:

scoobyv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by scoobyv8 »

theres gotta be somthing wrong at the gasket, if you say its seeping from there. and its never been running. so its never been under presure. only the gravity weight of the oil!

take a close look and if theres nowhere else it could be leaking from, you may have nicked it when you put the head back on. only other possibility would be if the heads been damaged.

a comp gasket wont need to be torqued verry tight to make it oil tight. mutch less than it would need torqued for running.

head needs to come off again i'd say
George
The refinement of modern day comfort, and the prestige of a rover V8! In the making.

seight
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by seight »

Engine should be coming out in the next week or two when I've tidied everything up in its new home.
Like I say, hopefully its just run round the gasket edge and past the top of the valley seal (maybe not enough blue stuff to fill any gaps there) or as you say a nick on the head gasket.
Otherwise it's bad as I had 4 thou' skimmed off the block and the heads are stage 3's straight from V8D. If there's anything wrong with the way they mate I'm stuffed.
Mike

Return to “Your Garage Scene”