My Supercharged V8 Capri Conversion

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

stevieturbo wrote:I'd have thought more power than that actually.
80Amps at 14Volts = 1120Watts
There are 746Watts per horsepower

So 80Amps at 14Volts = 1.501hp

Not enough to be worth worrying about!

Chris.

--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

You might well be right as those figures don't take into account any loses. It's really just a straight conversion from amps to watts then to HP (745.7 watts =1hp) . It won't be much more than that though.
Using a really modern alternator would be difficult as they are all ECU controlled now for fuel efficiency. Things like they charge less on acceleration and more on coasting/overrun. Even the 4.0 4.6 rovers had large alternators though, all the serp belt ones basically. They were 110A if I remember right. Not sure if you could drive a large alternator effectively without a serp belt right enough.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I have a self contained 100 amp unit on my SD1 EFI driven off the v belt. It's a Marelli A127 type with integral fan. More or less a direct replacement with an extra spacer to one of the original brackets. I do have a turnbuckle for adjustment as the original was a right fiddle to set.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

When the alternator on my P6 packed up I had it rewound to deliver higher amperage. I can't remember how many it delivers, but it was significantly more than standard.

Any decent rewinding place would be able to wind it to deliver higher amps.
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

katanaman wrote:You might well be right as those figures don't take into account any loses. It's really just a straight conversion from amps to watts then to HP (745.7 watts =1hp) . It won't be much more than that though.
Using a really modern alternator would be difficult as they are all ECU controlled now for fuel efficiency. Things like they charge less on acceleration and more on coasting/overrun. Even the 4.0 4.6 rovers had large alternators though, all the serp belt ones basically. They were 110A if I remember right. Not sure if you could drive a large alternator effectively without a serp belt right enough.
Hi Marki
In the old days they used to recon they could power 5hp through a standard V Belt

Things like Lawnmowers with a Brigs & Strattern 4.5 hp motor through a V belt working hard on thick grass held up for ages

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Ian Anderson wrote:
katanaman wrote:You might well be right as those figures don't take into account any loses. It's really just a straight conversion from amps to watts then to HP (745.7 watts =1hp) . It won't be much more than that though.
Hi Marki
In the old days they used to recon they could power 5hp through a standard V Belt

Things like Lawnmowers with a Brigs & Strattern 4.5 hp motor through a V belt working hard on thick grass held up for ages

Ian
Perhaps, but a lawnmower wont see the same rpm's and change of rpm's than a car belt will.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

this has wandered a bit :offtopic :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Tony......lets admit it though, most lawnmowers have done more miles than the Cappa in the last 2 years

:lol:

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

think my chainsaw has vibrated further :-)

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Rossco wrote:Tony......lets admit it though, most lawnmowers have done more miles than the Cappa in the last 2 years

:lol:

Ouch!!! :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

r2d2hp wrote:think my chainsaw has vibrated further :-)

Double OUCH !!! :)

Come on guys! Coops need some support here :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

sorry :oops:

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

mgbv8 wrote:
r2d2hp wrote:think my chainsaw has vibrated further :-)

Double OUCH !!! :)

Come on guys! Coops need some support here :)
Easily found on line
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... fbmkc45e_b

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Sorry for still wandering

That assumes no heat produced, no running of the cooling fan required. and no mechanical losses in the system. no belt frictional / heat losses etc.

Expect the system to no more than 40% EFF. maximum and efficiency dropping with RPM.

Just think of the effort required just to spin the alternator and its fan at 10,000 rpm without it actually being connected to anything.

I would say more like 4-5HP at 6000RPM and all losses are worth worrying about. Its a 1% loss even with a 500BHP motor

ChrisJC wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:I'd have thought more power than that actually.
80Amps at 14Volts = 1120Watts
There are 746Watts per horsepower

So 80Amps at 14Volts = 1.501hp

Not enough to be worth worrying about!

Chris.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I agree there will be losses but 4-5 HP? That would mean your your using 2.5-3.5 to get 1.5 worth of power. I really doubt that, even a screw supercharger isn't that inefficient and they are fairly poor.

Anyway we better get back on topic before Tony breaks out the big sticks :lol:

Return to “Your Garage Scene”