The mx5 Rv8,.. thing!

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DrDeAtH

Post by DrDeAtH »

You can get the prop made up at DYNOPROP, based just off A12 near M25 junction.

Dynoprop Balancing
1a Harold Court Road
Romford, RM3 0YU
Phone: 01708 372526
Fax: 01708 384598

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Well actually made some progress today! After a few days of looking like nothing, and a morning of swearing and resisting throwing things about (!) This afternoon saw me finish the most awkward header, twisted round the steering column, starter motor and out the tiniest hole by the bell housing! Its all tacked together now so will start on the passenger side tomorrow which should be a lot easier (thank god) and go from there. Not enough room for exhaust wrap but should I put some heat shielding round the starter and clutch slave cylinder? Will post some pics tomorrow or monday if I remember!
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I wouldn't bother with the exhaust wrap unless you have big heat issues, I would put in heat shields though.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

HOO BLOODY RAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finished the manifolds, got under there and finished the X pipe too, ready to poke the tail pipes in when they are done but no rush for them!

They aren't perfect lengths etc but basically the best I could fit in there without the engine coming back out and subframe having some more extensive mods- which I basically couldn't be bothered with. Its been a good year now and want to get it done! They should flow fairly well anyway, 1 5/8" primaries, 2" secondaries into 2 1/2" mains, all the joints are fairly smooth on the inside and no really sharp bends/corners.

Thank god that's done, the biggest bastard in the project so far (though I'm sure I've said it a few times!!!), basically just plumbing and wiring left do do :)
TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

the manifolds will do the job ,were they easy to do , :lol: rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

bones wrote:were they easy to do

:evil: I'd start running :lol: :mob
TC

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

top job mate i like, i like a lot :D
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Nice job Tom
they should get the gasses out, I like the X pipe very neet, you've got a gert big pump getting the air in so it should be prefect.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Looking good Tom!

As Mike says. The X piece is tidy :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

v8man
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8man »

:D nice work with one thing is bothering me 1 and 5 should be together
same for 3 and 7 ,
right hand side bank looks ok
as 5 and 7 fire consecutively
to get an optimum scavenging and take advantage of the pulses and make a difference on torque and power output

cheers
Gil

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Cheers guys, yeah I know about the firing order etc but there just wasn't space to cross over any pipes in the tiny engine bay. I think the tight bends I'd have had to put in would have killed any performance gain, both manifolds only fit in and out with a couple of mm to spare. Got to be better than block huggers or cast ones stuck in there- huggers wouldn't have fitted either actually...
TC

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I've had a mega purge on buying bits n bobs off ebay for my snagging and finishing list, good thing my gf doesn't check my account :lol:

I now have HT leads, all silicone pipework, header tank filler neck and cap, fuel filter, bonnet pins, cooling fan, ally water pipe, AND- a flash new AFR gauge :D (but a bit more :? about the money it cost :( )

I fabricated the header tank and pressure tested it, going to try and give it a polish before pics! Finished my engine breather/vacuum tank, mounted the radiator and cooling fan which is great, modified a rocker cover to get another breather pipe fitting in so have made some progress!

Haven't fitted the exhaust back yet as waiting for the AFR gauge to turn up so I can weld the bung for the lambda sensor in place first. Pics soon!
TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

your goner be busy :D . race at nth weald is in May so youve got plenty of time , :D rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Only a couple of pics- the vacuum/engine breather catch tank

And header tank :D now a decent 3l capacity instead of the 0.5 cr*ppy one I ebayed and returned :lol:

Tig welds are slowly getting there but still nowhere near the perfect ones you see so often :cry: how do they do it?!!!!! (damn robots....)

...oh- tried polishing them but not got the right compound and is a nightmare getting round all the pipes and brackets etc- quite like the random brushed look I got with a scotch type abrasive wheel which I normally use for brushing stainless.
TC

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Tom
If you want to polish the tank up get a buffer bonnet from Machine Fart and some tripoli polish/hard polishing soap and it will come up well.
Give it a machine sand with some 1200 grit paper first.
Cheers
P

Return to “Your Garage Scene”