garage planning questions

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

garage planning questions

Post by ian.stewart »

Its probably all been asked before,
I have just bought a terraced house in Bexhill, subject to contract, no mortgage etc,
as the house is a terrace, there is no option to have a garage at the front, however I do have rear access, and there is hard standing for a car but I would obviously want a garage, the hard standing at the moment is 16' wide by 8'deep oblong, with a further triangular bit behind 8' deep tapering down to 0 over 16ft, i dont think I will be able to or want to have a 16x16 garage taking over the garden, so Im thinking of going full width across the garden, 16' x 10' deep and a double width door across the front, in effect a sideways garage, it will be a bit of an arse getting the car in and out, as i would have to reverse it in probably and swing the front round like reversing into a parking space,
What is the max size I can go before the planning hitlers get involved. I have checked, I will not be able to exceed 2.5mts high but the flooring CSA I cant find on the local planning site,

THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Do you need planning permission if its made of wood and is called a shed ??

I'm just looking at a 16x8 timber shed to move all my storage and workbench into so I can free up the double garage to get both race cars into. As its in my back garden I'm just going to build it !!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Scrotes can break into wooden buildings waaaaay more easily and can then set fire to it. Happened to a friend of mine :evil:

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

Without permission you can build 750sq ft

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i have a 18'6 x 9'11 garage in my garden and didnt need permission.

just needs a roof now :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Ohh i am thinking all sorts of ideas here, space is at a premium, dunno how I am going to get the car in, very tight,
wondering if I will have to move the car in and out on skates or summat, not sure how, I need to get stuck in with a tape and actually work out if my idea works
THE SMOKING GNU

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Ian, based on some of the problems I have had would suggest you pop down to planning and ask first. What you can do seem to depend on the designation of the area you live in.

Have you looked at this site
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... buildings/

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Cheers Reg, I have been scratching around in there for a while, I still cant find much about "outbuilding" floor area, the way I see it 50% of garden, so If i had a 2 acre garden, a 1 acre garage!!!!!!
THE SMOKING GNU

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

That could be correct Ian but also check to see if there is a minimum distance from the House and boundaries.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

If I go to boundaries, max height of the garage can only be 2.5m high, and obviously permission of neighbors must be sought
THE SMOKING GNU

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Another petrol head

Post by JSF55 »

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthr ... ight=plans
You could ask Pete ? i know he does it for a living, but advice is normally free :) say john sent you !
So thats where it went !

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Simple answer is it depends on local authority. In Edinburgh so long as it is behind the front elevation of the house, is further than 5M from the house, not a permanent structure (made of wood or something like that) and takes up no more than 50% of the free land. No permission is required. As soon as you do brick or stuff like that then you need to get permission to build. Oh and you need permission to cross any pavements if there are any. Like I said though different authorities have different rules and a quick call to them will get you the brief outline that you need.

kevcon
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by kevcon »

Hi Ian

Going through the same process myself.
As stated before it depends on your local council but the guidance is usually if it is under 30 sq/m then planning and building regs are not need.
In my case Im going for building regs as my neighbours are complete arses and if the case arises that I have to gain planning permission, then at least the council have a record of the build.
Be safe give them a phone, they'll be all to happy to help.

kev

DrDeAtH

Post by DrDeAtH »

ian.stewart wrote:If I go to boundaries, max height of the garage can only be 2.5m high, and obviously permission of neighbors must be sought
That is the max eaves height... a full pitched roof structure can be 4metres max height.
Flat roofed constuction can be 3 metres max height

anything constructed within 1 metre of the boundaries must be built of non flammable materials... so timber frame is out..
Best option is 100mm blockwork, use lignacite blocks and all will be well as they have a good surface finish and dont look too terrible even when left unpainted.

But, best to check with your local building control office as they may specify different.

Planning shouldnt be needed unless you are in a conservation area.

nimmo
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by nimmo »

hi there every council is different on area size and depending in the area your in i've done my garage last year and i didn't need permision its a 4mtr wide by 6mtr long so in all 24 sqr mtr but as katanaman said there local council only 20 miles from me is 30sqr mtr not 24 in my area and i'm 3 mtr away from house i've biult mine from concrete block with flat roof, i contacted my local office and sat with someone who explained everything and they told me to draw out my plans and have them ok'd even if i didn't need permision just to keep me in the clear, hope this helps.

Return to “General Chat Area”