Knowing what you know now. . . ..

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Knowing what you know now. . . ..

Post by ihatesissycars »

If you could go back in time to when you started building your car building projects and start again but armed with the knowledge you now have and the money you've spent in total so far what would you do differently?

I would've bought a Griffith and i would still have had enough to buy a full itb intake setup, wildcat heads and cam! Tvr did the rest for me so i could then just get in, turn the key and thrash away to my hearts content!

You?

V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

no as i have enjoyed building my engine, learnt a lot going the way i have, yeah its cost money(not just mine), but i built it, and its been reliable,
yes i know every one says go chevy ford etc, but im enjoying getting the next little bit from the ole RV8 engine, yes i know i must be mad,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

If I could go back 5 years when I bought my MGB V8, I would leave the thing in the garage, and spend the next two years buying Rover V8 engines on ebay with my spare cash. I would then spend my spare time stripping and cleaning the parts to re sell on ebay. Two years later I would probably have made enough profit to shave 2 years off my build.

I should have bought the blast cabinet and big compressor instead of my new gearbox. I could make more cash by cleaning engine parts. I think that will be this years objective.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I'd but a totally completed and on the road GT40

It cost a lot more to put together than expected and the others were done and had the gremlins ironed out already

That said it has been fun doing work on the beast but I'd rather be driving!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Tony i agree with what you say about the rover rather than another v8, its more fun eeking more and more power out of it and seeing what you bujild and find! If i were to just plonk a ls1 in it there would be nothing left to do. Boring.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

ihatesissycars wrote:Tony i agree with what you say about the rover rather than another v8, its more fun eeking more and more power out of it and seeing what you bujild and find! If i were to just plonk a ls1 in it there would be nothing left to do. Boring.
Umm you already just said you wanted a griff so you could just get in and turn the key and thrash. Dropping an LS1 in seems to fit your first post perfectly. You think Stevieturbo isn't having fun? Course he is just he is talking 750bhp and probably wants 1000bhp where with the rover guys are all week at the knees dreaming about 300bhp lol

As for me I would have a 302 in the car but I was told they didn't fit. I know this isn't true now as they fit really well. Unfortunately several thousands later its a bit late to go swapping the engines out now. If I had spent what I have on a 302 I would probably have 100-150bhp more or the same power and a hell of a lot more torque and drivability.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I'd have bought a couple of houses, and considered retiring by now lol....

Only thing I'd change over current spec, is build a 2 door Granada, maybe with some better suspension
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

I would NOT have started the project with just an age old dream, a rotted out bodyshell and a 8 x 12 garage. No way. Never again. :cry:

If/when I build another car it'll start out with some decent steel in, or be all glass fibre, and not need two years welding to get it drivable. And I might even use one that already has chassis, suspension and running gear, to make the job even easier! 8-)

There were times I wish I'd never even heard of people 'building a car'. :(

It's worth it all now though :D

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

I would have bought a a car with a good chassis or have started the re-build with a new chassis. I would not have said let's go to RHD because that meant new pedals and pedal box, new steering column and a a rack instead of a steering box. I might have not gone the 5 speed box route had I realised that the new transmission tunnel made the only seats that could fit would only be sized for a snake-hipped limbo dancer.

It's not what you spend on your car; it's what car you could have bought with the money instead :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Griffs have rover v8s? I like rovers! I don't like the idea of too much power, it would make a car very difficult to drive fast from a to b on the road rather than straight lines. A rover that makes 300bhp will feel very fit and healthy whereas a bbc making 300bhp will feel like somethings broken which is why i odn't want a mega massive mega powerful engine. Anyways a griff with a 5.0 and some of wildcats finest would be a wicked engine and coupled with the tvr chassis would be a wicked drive! Perfect in my book.

Real Griffs have 289/302 combos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I could start again, the rover would have to be replaced with a 302/351 windsor, scat stroker kit, cabable of taking the engine out to 427, set of good ally heads, keep the bodies, and 500 hp is a easy goal :D :D :D

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

Hmmm - I should have either stuck with the original TR7 and used all my V8 bits, instead of changing projects and getting the Menace or I should have gone straight to a 'big' engine in the Menace and then stuck with the spec, instead of chasing horsepower.
What I shouldnt have done, is finance everything with loans and credit cards though - as im paying the price for it now!!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I wish I'd gone Chevy small block instead of Ford 351C (still could I suppose) due to ease of getting bits for chevy. I'm going to have to get headers made, but could have got off the shelf ones for the chevy - still, I'll be different from the masses i suppose.

Pete
Image Image

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

plastic orange wrote: - still, I'll be different from the masses i suppose.

Pete
And that is probably the essence of all the grief we go through: to have something different from the masses.

Hell, if it were easy, the whole populace of the country would be driving around in specials, and hot rods, and 750hp street cars etc :lol:

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

....oh and I promise never to buy a car again sight unseen on Ebay from the US. Even if people I know say it's very good it will be bound to be sh1t....

.... well until the next time anyway! :sob :sob :sob

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

My MGB is coming off the road on wednesday for its Rover V8 conversion.
My first engine swap. :)
Can I post in this thread in 12 months time because i'm bound to bugger up something!
Image -JC.

Return to “General Chat Area”