Land Rover Defender

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Land Rover Defender

Post by Rossco »

Looks like Land Rover have decided that supporting the Defender is no longer as profitable as selling Chelsea Tractors.

My Defender has been sat at the local LR dealer for 3 weeks without a clutch. Apparently there isn't a clutch in the country. JLR can't say when they will have one and none of the dealers have one in stock either.

I can only assume that despite there being thousands of these on the road JLR has more profitable use for the storage space than keeping Defender clutches.

.....and before anyone questions why I wouldn't do the job myself the vehicle is on contract hire.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd be surprised if LR make the clutch themselves. And if there was only one supplier of them.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Hi Dave

Even more annoying is that it's a Ford engine and gearbox out of the Transit but will JLR authorise the use of a Ford kit......nope!

Hey ho, off now to make my daily call to the dealer so I can listen to the latest excuses.

Seriously between the issues with my F Type and the Defender clutch JLR are pushing my brand loyalty to breaking point.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Have you tried phoning a dealer well outside your area to see if they have one in stock?

Basically, experience tells me a dealer will make up any story that suits them.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

I'll try that Dave, current experience with both sides of JLR tells me they would tell me anything.

Fortunately the lease company (Arval) have now waded in as they are facing a compensation claim from me for what looks like a minimum of 4 weeks without the vehicle.

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Why not put an aftermarket clutch in - most are better than OEM anyway.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

garrycol wrote:Why not put an aftermarket clutch in - most are better than OEM anyway.
I doubt LR make their own clutches anyway. And may have more than one supplier. So you might get an identical item in a different box.

But Rossco said it's a lease vehicle, so doesn't own it. The lease company will be the one who decides if a non genuine part can be used, and LR, if it is still under warranty.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Exactly, if it was my vehicle I'd have it in the workshop today and bung an uprated aftermarket clutch into it.

Return to “General Chat Area”