Track Car Tow Vehicle

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Track Car Tow Vehicle

Post by chodjinn »

I've been doing a lot of reading on this lately and still can't make my mind up. Assume I have the B&E licence. Trailer will be approximately 600kg, plus say 1200kg for the car, plus a few spares, say 2 tons total.

I've been looking at all kinds of vehicles. Realistically with the weight, I need a 4x4 or a van. I was wondering what other people use or could recommend?

I've been thinking about a Discovery, or maybe even a cheap Rangey. VW Transporters/Caravelles also look pretty good and have the advantage of the camper option?

I can't spend an absolute fortune either, and mpg is a consideration but I realize that towing it will go down a lot!

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Reality check

How often are you going to actually tow anything?

How far will you tow it?

How much would a tow company charge to move your car the same distance when you want it taken to a track?

Then check out the difference in costs - it may pay not to get a tow vehicle!
And rent a dry hotel room rather than camp in a wet field

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

I used to use a Mitsubishi Pajero (the Japanese grey import Shogun), good things were that the LWB seats folded down into a double bed, they are cheap and easy to maintain. Bad bits were economy and relatively low power unless you go for a 3.5 then its just the economy :roll:

But you dont need to go fast when you are towing, having said that Ian has a point if its just occasional use it my pay to have someone else do it or hire a 4x4 / van from someone when you need one.
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Get a cheap Disco 1 or 2.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I have a 27 foot box body trailer on three axels, it is hitch plated for 3.5 tons and realistically with the dragster and all the kit for a weekend it is about there. I tow it with a jeep grand Cherokee with a 5 cylinder merc diesel in it. I probably get 12 to the gallon whilst towing, maybe a little less but I now only tow it for 15 minutes at a time. I get about 25 to 27 otherwise. The jeep is a bit soft on suspension at the rear, the combination won't go above 45 without fishtailing like the devil, some other tow cars are better where they have a bigger distance hitch to back axel centre. the Jeep was about half the price of a disco/ranger over of similar age/mileage/condition. If you are looking at a 3.5 tonne set up then there are not many tow vehicles to choose from check before you buy do not assume that just because it is a big 4x4 it can tow this size trailer, a Q8 can't. 3.5 tonnes of trailer puts a lot of strain on the drive train and axel mountings again I would consider hiring if you can find a reliable trailer and tow vehicle supplier, some of those hiring trailers are right bad sorts!
2 Tonnes should give you a wider choice and an easier life but still check the plating.
good luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Thanks all. Reality check already done Ian that in no way am I paying someone to tow my track car it's just not workable. I will be going to a number of different tracks up to 10-12 times a year most likely. For a start I will need to take spares plus a bunch of other stuff depending on how long the event is, and then I would need a second vehicle to actually get to the event as well. Most likely cost a couple of hundred each time, so over a year that would pay for the trailer and some fuel! Plus I loath spending 70-80 quid for a hotel when I much prefer slumming it camping, it's more fun anyway!

Won't need 3.5 tons Mike, 2 should be fine. I have been looking at cheap range rovers, but thanks Chris I think a disco would do the job just as well and have been reading good things about them (apart from rust!). They'll all do up to 3.5 tons anyway. Also hadn't thought about the Cherokee so will look into those as well.

Chris, what's your P38 like? Those are the ones I have been looing at, about £2-2.5k for an LPG HSE (don't want a wheezy diesel)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I have a nissan navara 4x4.
Tows the capri perfect on our 16ft Car trailer
It's a king cab 4 door so can have passengers OK.
And all tools etc get put in the rear pick up bed so cab don't get dirty or stunk out with oils fuel etc.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

what's that like on fuel and road tax?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
the Grand Cherokee on a diesel does 17.7 seconds, at 93mph on the quarter mile, very repeatable. The hemi version does about 15.5 seconds and 105 mph and the SRT does 13.4 and 115 ish. My 2.5 litre petrol rover 75 did 17.4 so the diesel jeep is no slouch.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
the Grand Cherokee on a diesel does 17.7 seconds, at 93mph on the quarter mile, very repeatable. The hemi version does about 15.5 seconds and 105 mph and the SRT does 13.4 and 115 ish. My 2.5 litre petrol rover 75 did 17.4 so the diesel jeep is no slouch.
best regards
Mike
I'm not going to be using it on the strip mike ....?!?! :lol:

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Other thing to bear in mind is does the proposed vehicle have low enough 1st and reverse gears for easy manoeuvring? My brother tows a heavy caravan with a BMW 330T which has plenty power on the move - but a tendency to burn out clutches if needed to go slow. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I'm only really looking at 4x4s, mainly for stability etc. and most have suitably low gears.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

its not bad on fuel Ollie,
road tax is cheaper than a few others as the D22 is classed as commercial vehicle so tax band is cheaper,
BUT they do have faults like the conrods jumping out the block,
mines had the ARP conversion and bearing conversion done to stop this from happening,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

With a good quality trailer, stability wont be an issue.

From a practical standpoint and assuming you wont park on wet grass often, just buy a van.

It's a non road legal race car, you will want to carry spares, tools, wheels/tyres etc etc.
Make life easy for yourself. A jeep or 4x4 type vehicle might be better for daily use, but maybe not as good for carrying lots of gear

If you need a little extra passenger space buy a crew cab type van which has more than just 2 seats.

As to what type of van....that's even harder to answer !
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Our combo :

Its a '73 so tax exempt. Only pay insurance. Don't drive it much so its fuel consumption ( LPG ) isn't a big issue.
So not driving it a year just costs almost nothing.

80mph with the loaded trailer behind it is no issue even like surprising GTI drivers at the traffic light with or without the trailer.

Parts come dirt cheap from Rockauto and these rigs are easy to maintain.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Return to “General Chat Area”