Help

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

tinker

Help

Post by tinker »

I have a trike with a rover V8 and an borg warner 65 auto box , i had lots of smoke and grinding noise from the box I'm presuming it's shot and have been quoted silly money for repairing for what in reality is a rat bike . So far I have manage to get three replacement boxes two wear too long and the bellhousing wasn't for a rover and the other is actually a borg warner 35 ( which from what I've been told is the same as 65 without oil cooling ) but doesn't have any bellhousing .

The trike was built around the engine , box and back axle so need something the same size , has anyone got any advice / ideas for what to do ?

I need to keep it auto as the drivers seat is on top of the box .

Cheers

Tinker

P.s. This is my first post on here so If I've broken any rules and posted in the wrong place sorry .

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

By chance a BW 35 bellhousing and convertor came up on the nsra yesterday if you want to go that route
http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthr ... -converter
So thats where it went !

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

The BW35 is a lot wider than the BW65, so if your tunnel/chassis has been closely built around the 65 you probably won't get a 35 in there. The 35 isn't as reliable as the 65 either.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Can you rebuild the box yourself?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

tinker

Post by tinker »

ChrisJC wrote:Can you rebuild the box yourself?

Chris.
Wish I could but I've seen it in bits there are hundreds of them , there's not a cat in hells chance of me doing it .

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Help

Post by harvey »

tinker wrote: and have been quoted silly money for repairing for what in reality is a rat bike . So far I have manage to get three replacement boxes two wear too long and the bellhousing wasn't for a rover and the other is actually a borg warner 35 ( which from what I've been told is the same as 65 without oil cooling ) but doesn't have any bellhousing .
Whereabouts are you? Maybe you're close to someone on here who would be able to help you out a bit.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Obvious way is to just get another BW 65 which is standard SD1. They tend to fetch less than the later GM box - but neither will cost you as much as a re-con, even when doing it yourself. But of course anything used is a gamble.

As regards overhauling your own box, it looks much more difficult than it is. But you do really need a manual giving the sequence for stripping and overhaul etc. You also need to keep things very clean. So not something you can do in the street.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote: As regards overhauling your own box, it looks much more difficult than it is. But you do really need a manual giving the sequence for stripping and overhaul etc. You also need to keep things very clean. So not something you can do in the street.
+ the installers to get the resealed pistons back into the drums.

Return to “General Chat Area”