Buying advice

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Bart
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Buying advice

Post by Bart »

Hi,

I'm off to look at a Chimaera this afternoon. Saw it on Ebay, and spoke to the chap last night. Sounded a very reasonable guy, and has perfect feedback on Ebay with pictures of the MOT and receipts from V8 developments. Today or tomorrow are the only reasonable days I can really go to view, but it's tipping down today. The guy says it's only done dry miles, and he didn't seem very keen for a test drive in the wet. Of course I understand why, but I'm vary wary about shelling out for a car that I haven't at least been a passenger in or driven to listen out for any nasty clunks or noises.

What would you say I should do? Wouldn't be able to buy the car this weekend; would have to pick it up next weekend. Was thinking about offering a deposit if I wanted it, and then ask to test drive it next weekend.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

offer a deposit on the under standing that once you test drive if not happy next weekend he returns the deposit due to not letting you test drive this weekend,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Weather forecast is dry and sunny for Sunday.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Bart
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Bart »

It dried up a bit, so got a spin. Solid chassis, low mileage, dry interior that's like new apart from the odd bit, and lovely engine with MC1 cam installed by v8 Developments. Offered him a deposit to take it.

It kangaroos a bit at low speeds though. Don't think it's owt serious. Maybe ECU remap, because he hadn't had it done with the new cam I don't think. Knocked him down a bit. Quite pleased!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
low seed Kangeroo is one of the following, idle mixture set too lean to get it through the emisions on the new cam, in which case tweak it a bit richer. An air leak on the inlet manifold somewhere, spray some WD 40 at the area whilst it is running and see if it speeds up. . . fix the leak.The ECU can't keep up with the mixture variations at idle brought about by extra overlap on the new cam, talk to Ian Anderson about this one. Two ways to deal with this one, change ecu for an after market one and run alfa N at idle, or just don't drive it at idle in high gears, it's a TVR for goodness sakes! :lol:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I have still got the kangaroo
Just learn to drive around it hold lower gears to keep it out of the kangaroo Rev range

The exhaust runs at 100db so it also sounds great!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Bart
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Bart »

Hi, cheers for the advice.

I'll do the usual - check for air leaks etc. After that, I am afraid I know next to nothing about fuel injection, I wouldn't know how to adjust the idle mixture :oops:

Is alfa-N where the ECU over rides the signals from the air flow meter when there is a confused signal at low revs? Just had a quick google.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I have the odd kangaroo with mine
its going away next month to be set up on the rollers at last and set up to run alpha n off boost and map on boost,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Bart wrote:Hi, cheers for the advice.

I'll do the usual - check for air leaks etc. After that, I am afraid I know next to nothing about fuel injection, I wouldn't know how to adjust the idle mixture :oops:

Is alfa-N where the ECU over rides the signals from the air flow meter when there is a confused signal at low revs? Just had a quick google.
Think it's with a wild cam you get poor vacuum at low revs, so speed density is unreliable. Alfa-N effectivley just uses the TPS signal. It's somewhere an AFM would be useful.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

:whs
Mike