OK thats it throwing in the towel

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Megasquirts are pretty reliable tbh - I can barely remember what version mine is running as I've not really needed to touch it for years.

What about removing all the spark plugs (so it cranks faster and easier) and cranking it over and observing things, if it drops out - try pulling the fuses for the ign coils (to remove HT) and see if it makes any difference.

Have you got a log of it from crank, to run, to stop? can you post or email it to eliot at mez.co.uk

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Spongo wrote:Running on mains power, I am waiting for a reply to my email to the supplier of the MS but I am pretty sure its goosed :(
No matter what the fault, MS can be repaired economically. As it uses in the main industry standard parts which are readily available.

But that's not to say it is faulty - the USB to serial adaptor is often the problem when comms are unreliable.

But if it is dying you can do a fairly simple test. Check the 5 volt supply to the TPS. If this is dying at the same time - and you're certain the 12v supply to MS is good - you've identified the problem.

Other thing is to use a computer with a proper serial port to eliminate the USB adaptor.

There are plenty who can test and repair MS in the UK - including me. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

I will see if the 5v line drops tomorrow, there was one other symptom that I forgot to post, on many of the occasions when the MS dropped out I could hear the spark plugs clicking after the engine had cut out and the only thing driving them is the MS.

My supp!ier reckons its noise being picked up somewhere that is causing the MS to shutdown. To be honest I am struggling with that one.

The MS was also fitted by a well respected expert so its not a cobbled together DIY installation.
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Noise is usually caused by poor grounding, so check the ground connections are sound.

Also unplug the MS and check there isn't continuity between any sensor ground and ground - they must only ground via MS.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Dave

OK confused, for each sensor there is only a single wire from the MS, that goes to the sensor which then grounds using the vehicle wiring.

Does that mean all my sensors (well water and air) are wired incorrectly?
Techedge Wideband Sensor

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Separate sensors grounds are the norm but they are connected together either at the MS connector or by MS itself. The important bit is they're not connected to ground elsewhere too. Unplugging MS is the easy way to check this.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Noise can also be caused by an alternator that is on its way out.

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/resets.htm
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Yes I know but this is new as is spark plugs, leads etc, all has been changed in the past to try and identify "noise" problems which have never been found.
Techedge Wideband Sensor

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Well after lots of head scratching and a whole load of advice and expertise from a really helpful member on here a fault was found on the MS and fixed, got it back in the post today and hey presto car is running again so they obviously do go wrong :roll:

Whilst the fault was being fixed there was something that had been left at the "factory" setting that would have also potentially caused some of the misfire issues I had.

So am a bit happier and sorry to all those that offers but £1k is not going to but the vehicle now.

So all I have to do now is put it all back together properly and decide once and for all how much I want to sell it.
Techedge Wideband Sensor

Return to “General Chat Area”