have you heard the new F1 cars?

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

topcatcustom wrote:It was a shambles because nobody has properly tested the technology, only 2 teams had done a full distance test run before the weekend! Some cars just didn't work, none of the drivers really know how to drive them, and the gross design of the front ends must point to a lot of this being done in a bit of a rush!

I don't want anyone to burn at all, missing re-fuelling in races doesn't make us sadists, it's an exciting thing watching how fast a team of guys can pump 50l of fuel into a car where every 100th of a second counts! And it needn't be expensive, NASCAR use a big bottle with an air line attached!!!

Olly if the best driver was always on pole as you prefer then it would be even more boring, like plenty of Schumacher era races, start on pole, don't even see another car the whole race (Vettel?) At least the less talented drivers starting on pole due to fuel differences creates overtaking and racing as the better drivers further back fight their way up the field. That creates racing rather than paving an easy race.

But anyway, can anybody disagree, the point of this thread- is that the cars do sound gash!
Exactly what he said!

Zander

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Australian GP organisers claim F1 breached contract

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08640

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I am sitting here watching the GP I recorded earlier, and all Coultard and the other commentator can find to talk about is changing tires, how delicate the side walls are, how fresh the tires are better than warn out ones and how efficient the engines are, there is no actual racing to talk about, is it me! :? I want some racing!
If they want to save petrol lets have some CART (indy car on proper tracks) racing they run ethanol or methanol and you could always insist it is made from soyabeans!
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Ecclestone is a self made dictator and has done a lot of harm to F1, IMO.
I gave up watching F1 years ago and now I get my racing fix from MotoGP and WSBK.
Cheers,
John

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I don't know the other commentators name but I don't like him. I haven't got Sky F1 this year, but it's streets ahead of the bbc programs.

Malyasia was ok, usually it's a great race but the bad weather stayed away and no major yellow flags made it a bit of a parade, qualifying was more lively with the rain. I like the fuel monitoring thing, and the engines are definitely warming on me. Seems like all the research mercedes did last year is starting to pay off, 7 out of the top 9 cars had merc engines, with Perez not even starting, ace!
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

I put the race through my 5.1 home cinema speakers yesterday as I noticed sky was broadcasting in DD. And even with the amp on full blast, it still sounded crap.

I think they need to look at the microphones and the positioning of them.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Or just add a few pops and bangs- not hard to do with a turbo! Although the gearchanges are so quick I don't suppose anti-lag would ever kick in!
TC

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Well most of the general dislike seems to centre on the sound of the car and that's it, so that's not bad really considering all the changes. I'm really not bothered about the sound, personally the ear-splitting screeching was never pleasant.

The cars are more powerful, fuel efficient and tough to drive, and not that much slower than last year. Only early in the season so far, a few more races and people will forget about the V8s! Honda is back for 2015 as well, so that'll be 4 engine manufacturers, which is great.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I have two objections
1/ the sound
2/ there is no racing going on they are driving round and round a track as fast as they can trying not to run out of fuel that is not racing! If they do come up behind someone they just moves out the way because he can't defend the position or do anything else or their average fuel consumption will go up and he won't make it to the end of the race.
MOTO GP is more about real racing I agree and in the past I really enjoyed side cars but I would like to see real 4 wheel racing.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

To be honest I'm sick of hearing people moan about 'real racing'. F1 is unique. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I'm a big fan of it and like I have said before, I appreciate the technical challenges that go into it in addition to the racing, tactics, race management. I have never been a fan of Moto GP, mainly because I have no interest in bikes, but I don't bang on about it!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

topcatcustom wrote:Or just add a few pops and bangs- not hard to do with a turbo! Although the gearchanges are so quick I don't suppose anti-lag would ever kick in!
Can't have anti-lag as the cars do not start the race with enough fuel to finish no waste possible - also the Turbo's are spooled up electrically - spool time from 0-Max is 1 second.

They are allowed a 15K max RPM - they have no need to use this as they now have 8 gears and the engines generally only need to run to 10-12K

So 10K rpm 1.6L with a massive turbo = no wasteful noise. Listening to the cars on the in-car on SKY they are loud enough - As Eliot says for the TV and Radio they probably need to reposition the mic's. Early days and looks an interesting season ahead.

Love F1, Moto GP, WSB - NASCAR- NHRA - well anything with and engine - does not even need wheels as Drag boats and Jet boats are also on the like list. As is Pylon racing.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

As a sound engineer to trade I'm wondering what's so different about these engines that would require a re-position of any mics?

I'm told they sound very different to spectators at the event.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Not being a sound engineer I may have been thinking too simplistically Thought being that the old engines were ear splittingly loud so figured that the mic's were positioned for that level - now that they are very quiet in comparison they are just to far away and pick up all the background noise instead that was previously just dwarfed by the engines - if they turn the gain up all they hear are the pit crew's farts in 5.1.

DaveEFI wrote:As a sound engineer to trade I'm wondering what's so different about these engines that would require a re-position of any mics?

I'm told they sound very different to spectators at the event.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

chodjinn wrote:To be honest I'm sick of hearing people moan about 'real racing'. F1 is unique. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I'm a big fan of it and like I have said before, I appreciate the technical challenges that go into it in addition to the racing, tactics, race management. I have never been a fan of Moto GP, mainly because I have no interest in bikes, but I don't bang on about it!
The reason this is being brought up is because F1 used to be a lot more wheel to wheel, hence why people have a history of watching it. If it was a new concept it wouldn't have so many supporters, the history of F1 provides a huge amount of support for the sport. What Mike is getting at is that it used to be more aggressive, and now it isn't, it was still F1 back then, so if anything it appears to be straying from its roots slightly.

I still appreciate F1 for the technical advances and the sheer speed, but I honestly don't see the point in making it so "eco", what difference is 1 race every other week going to make to the world. The amount of money and research teams are forced to put in pollutes the world far more than a few kg of fuel per car per race. I know it feeds into general car advances but the technology already exists anyway.

We will get used to the sound, it does sound more modern, but to me, you just can't beat the noise the old V10's used to make, who can make the quickest pit stop, watching the mechanics desperately getting the fuelling rig in and the huge disappointment when your favourite car suddenly emits a plume of blue smoke from the left bank of the engine.

Guess I'm stuck in the old world before I'm 30. Give me loud noises, the smell of petrol and an element of danger any day. Call me Clarkson all you like!
TC

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Return to “General Chat Area”