Rover V8 challenge from 1991 :)

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Rover V8 challenge from 1991 :)

Post by mgbv8 »

Quite a good video of what was going on 23 years ago !!

The Super Bee pops up a couple of times as well. :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Some of those are defiantly Fords :?
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

pity the RV8 challenge died :(
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Coops wrote:pity the RV8 challenge died :(
You just need you, Perry, Reg and flying Phil and a few of the others on here with Rover lumps at the same RWYB a few times, agree some rules and you can get it going again. I would suggest putting some thought into the rules though. I was not ever involved in it but it looks to me that it all got very "professional" and big money went into many development motors and the armature got priced out of having any chance of winning. The usual way around that is to stick a simple rule of any team can buy another team's engine for a fixed price. If you don't like that way then have every team register a build sheet for their engine and the cost of the build has a max value (normally less carbs and power adders but including cams rockers and heads) it is a great leveler as shoving money at the engine gives you no advantage in the long run.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

kiwicar wrote:
Coops wrote:pity the RV8 challenge died :(
You just need you, Perry, Reg and flying Phil and a few of the others on here with Rover lumps at the same RWYB a few times, agree some rules and you can get it going again. I would suggest putting some thought into the rules though. I was not ever involved in it but it looks to me that it all got very "professional" and big money went into many development motors and the armature got priced out of having any chance of winning. The usual way around that is to stick a simple rule of any team can buy another team's engine for a fixed price. If you don't like that way then have every team register a build sheet for their engine and the cost of the build has a max value (normally less carbs and power adders but including cams rockers and heads) it is a great leveler as shoving money at the engine gives you no advantage in the long run.
best regards
Mike

I think we would be better off doing a V8 Forum Rover challenge in a bracket race stylee !!

All cars run a Rover V8. It does not matter what power adders we have or engine capacity. Its all down to a dial in time for each car ??

This could be done as a private event at any RWYB because we can ask for a sportsman tree whenever a pair of us run together. And an observer can note the times we run based on our pre determined dial in times. Yes! it would be a bit of faffing around but it would certainly make for a fun day out. And all of us would have timing tickets to confirm our runs on our own leader board ?

OR!

We could do some passes and then ask for a split light on the Pro Tree. So if Coops was say 2.5 seconds behind me I would get a 2.5 second delay on my lights ? That would give some good heads up racing I think ?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

mgbv8 wrote:We could do some passes and then ask for a split light on the Pro Tree. So if Coops was say 2.5 seconds behind me I would get a 2.5 second delay on my lights ? That would give some good heads up racing I think ?

Ohhh, that was a subtle dig at Coops :lol: :lol:

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

im use to it mate :lol:

wait until retro when we both run just boosted engines with NO other power adders ;-)
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Go straight to 4.20 and see Steve Greens MK1 Cortina try to fly :wink: :eek
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Cobratone wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:We could do some passes and then ask for a split light on the Pro Tree. So if Coops was say 2.5 seconds behind me I would get a 2.5 second delay on my lights ? That would give some good heads up racing I think ?

Ohhh, that was a subtle dig at Coops :lol: :lol:

I wasnt having a dig Coops!!
Just trying to point out a possible setup for racing !!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I think 2.5 seconds between yours and Tonys is pretty close, I would have thought however a capri on a trailer being towed by a pick-up with a slipping clutch would be quicker in the quarter mile than an MGB with a broken back axle being pushed up the quarter by Jason me and JJ but you never know . . . . Reg might be able to beat the pair of you if he could just get the car cover off to open the door! :D I will be last, sitting in the bleachers spinning my wheels in my own oil slick!
:lol:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

kiwicar wrote:I think 2.5 seconds between yours and Tonys is pretty close, I would have thought however a capri on a trailer being towed by a pick-up with a slipping clutch would be quicker in the quarter mile than an MGB with a broken back axle being pushed up the quarter by Jason me and JJ but you never know . . . . Reg might be able to beat the pair of you if he could just get the car cover off to open the door! :D I will be last, sitting in the bleachers spinning my wheels in my own oil slick!
best regards
Mike
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Return to “General Chat Area”