Biva test

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ford100ev8

Biva test

Post by ford100ev8 »

Has Any 1 who has modified there car took it for a biva test , I have seen the points table , but there seams many cars around that wouldn't keep there reg on the points table , any info would help thanks
:D

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Well yes but I assume this is not what you mean. All kit cars go through the Basic IVA as did mine and to be honest, the points regarding the registration number is minimal. It's the rounded edges and similar requirements that are the problem for us although usually passed on a re-take.

Where do you see the problem, may I ask?
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ford100ev8

Post by ford100ev8 »

I have a ford 100e that I am modifying in to a prostreet car , I am going to cut the floor out and make a box chassis , tub the rear fit a chevy 5.3 v8 , so would this cause me any problems , thanks

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

You can download the manuals from here

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/ind ... al-manuals

ford100ev8

Post by ford100ev8 »

I have down loaded the manual , I am just trying to get an idear of what other people have done , if they have took test or just not

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
is it previously registered as a modified car (hot rod) on the registration documents or will this be the first modifications that take it away from a stock "Numbers matching" (as it left the factory) car? This is of course as far as the registration documents are concerned so if it has been running a Ford FE since 1965 but no one bothered to tell Cardiff then it is still original as far as they are concerned. . .
What I am getting at is that if it has a non original engine, gearbox and back axle, and all the paper work was up to date to cover this before the BIVA came in then you will be OK to change those items, likewise if the firewalls were modified to fit then you should be OK if you need to change them further. However if the paper work does not reflect this prior to the introduction of the test then you will have to go through the procedure and tests.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ford100ev8

Post by ford100ev8 »

I brought the car as a rolling shell with no engine or box , but it does have a v5 , I doesn't list any mods on there , 1172 cc engine , it lists it as a 2 axle rigid body , It has it down as a historic vehicle

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

It'll be for the test then.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

I think some people think there are a few grey areas here as you are allowed to change the engine simply because if your engine blows up, you need a new one. In addition, you do not have to have the same one / type but if you take the IVA test then the engine will be tested for emissions on the age of your engine. However once tested, the engine emission classification will stay even if you change engines afterwards.

Its all really regarding the chassis. As all (well almost) kit cars have a new chassis then you need an IVA test and you have to get a new registration. If you keep the same chassis but modify it, then I understand that you also then need an IVA test. Not sure if you need a new registration as well as the rules seem to say if it is currently registered it does not.

I know that even fitting a Ford Type 9 gearbox into an MGB (a common mod) requires making a modification to the chassis (the tunnel) so strictly speaking requires a test. It is not because you have changed the gearbox.

So I agree and I think the answer as the chassis has changed (after IVA introduction as per above post) it sounds as though you need a test - then it's down to the IVA manual rules. I do not think you need a new registration, though.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
It would most likely keep the same registration as it would be a single donor car special and require an age related plate which is already on the v5. . . .
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ford100ev8

Post by ford100ev8 »

Thanks for your comments , I just want to build the car the way I want and for it to be safe , I will get it built then get it tested , thanks

Return to “General Chat Area”