perspex windows

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rs_v8

perspex windows

Post by rs_v8 »

Hi guys

anyone recommend somewhere to get perspex windows im looking at changing my glass soon

Thanks Steve

FAST AND LOUD

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

i did say recommend! :roll:
FAST AND LOUD

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The first few names on the search engine do come up on various forums.

Of course the main question is....for what vehicle ? Whether they actually stock anything for your application is another matter.

Although if you send them your glass, they can copy and replicate them. Although pretty sure they will be thinner than normal glass
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

my car is a 1983 3 door sierra i know they do make glass replacement for rs500 rally cars ect but it costs a fortune.. ive seen the shops on ebay that say they can make any shape as long as they have the measurements i was wondering if anyone has done this.

Steve
FAST AND LOUD

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Fibresports in Basildon should be able to do them

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Can I comment that Perspex shatters into very sharp splinters whereas I suggest you want Polycarbonate sheet material that will not, it will bend and is scratch resistant.

(I originally had Perspex on my first Dax for the side screens and they shattered very easily.)
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I dont think any of the places selling windows these days, would sell stuff that is dangerous like that

i think most are some sort of polycarb or acrylic and also a lot more scratch resistant than old perspex used to be
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

i was looking around and it does actually say that the perspex stuff shatters and it is polycarb stuff that i need really. i checked out the fibresports that blown v8 said but i think they just sell body kits and so on.
FAST AND LOUD

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

stevieturbo wrote:I dont think any of the places selling windows these days, would sell stuff that is dangerous like that
Perspex is a trade name and was used (I seem to recall) originally in aircraft windows. It probably depends on how you use it so if it is in a frame it is supported all around.

It does crack and shatter, though. Worth checking out what / how you want to use it.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I've just been doing a job to replace the roof of a smoking shelter that blew over in the wind and knacked the polycarb roof.

I just tapped "polycarbonate windows" into google and came up with a load of places that will cut stuff to size.

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/polycar ... 900-0.html

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Polycarbonate is definitely what you need, it goes under the trade name Lexan, too. Run away screaming from Perspex.
Cheers,
John

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

I'm using 4mm Lexan Marguard (coating) in the SD1. 'Perspex' (acrylic) will shatter quite easily whereas 'Lexan' (polycarbonate) you can hit with a hammer and it won't crack. Lexan can be cold bent but perspex needs to be heated. Of course, Lexan is more expensive.

Marguard has the same property as lexan, but has a silicone coating for extra protection against scratching.

Quote from one supplier:

"This Lexan (R) Margard sheet has maximum toughness, with more resistance approaching that of glass, and significantly improved resistance to weathering. MR-10 sheet provides extended service life. It has excellent clarity and durability, it is lightweight, and is superior glazing material for institutions, office buildings, stores, and more. It will withstand -40deg F to 270 deg F. Has a silicone hardcoat surface. It is non-formable and UV resistant. LEXAN MR10 sheet is mar- and graffiti-resistant. It combines the impact strength of LEXAN polycarbonate sheet with a proprietary abrasion and UV-resistant MARGARD® II surface. It is warranted against yellowing, breakage, coating failure and loss of light transmission and offers improved resistance to weathering and forced entry protection...."

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Sounds like you have the right product there.
Cheers,
John

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

I just tried ringing Fibresports,but they are on holiday !
I've had their Perspex windows in my pop for over twenty years without no problems !
Before that, I had a Mk3ccortina,had it roof chopped,this had Perspex windows,had a glass screen cut down for a few years,until it broke ! Fibresports made me a front Perspex screen,sold it on a few years after that with all Perspex still going strong !Image[/img]

Return to “General Chat Area”