Hole saws for drilling metal?

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

2mm should be ok with most - but make sure it is well greased and use a ballrace. 4mm would be mighty thick steel for most cars.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

My crossmember was 2-3mm in some places, and double skinned in others.

QMax wouldnt have stood a chance, plus lots of sections were blind, so you could never have used it anyway.

I did Plasma some holes out, although really should have used a holesaw. Plasma can be messy and needed lots of tidying up !

But even for the amount of metal I did remove, weight saving wasnt huge from the holes. Although more was saved with the suspension arms and cutting the old spring platforms off.

I'd say in total I saved around 15kg from standard springs, shocks, arms, crossmember moving to lots of holes, modified, custom arms and coilovers.

The standard springs were even bloody heavy !
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Yes it's 2-3mm thick in some places. I've almost finished it now, spent another 5hrs cutting yesterday. Bought a set of decent metal files to smooth everything up as well. It's taking a long time and yes there isn't going to be a great benefit but it is quite satisfying, and now I've finished drilling the central part it does look wicked!

Planning on ditching the lever arms (I was going to use them to convert to coilovers) and just buying an off-the-shelf coilover package - the amount of work involved in making my own is a lot and will only save me about £100-150 in total. May as well buy something that I know works than risk doing it myself and it not working, incurring yet more expense.

Will post pics soon!
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Return to “General Chat Area”