Flying 1/2 mile

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Flying 1/2 mile

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
as the title states is there anywhere in the UK or near continent (France, Benelux or this side of Germany, maybe northern Spain) that does flying 1/2 mile runs or kilometer. . . . flying mile would do . . . just idle thoughts.
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Only place I would think suitable would be Bruntingthorpe

Going to try and break 200?
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

OK
that is a possible. . .
I was reading a copy of hot rod magazine the other night and there is a selection of the Bonneville stream-liners in there from this years racing . . .
It did look serious fun to run a team for that but on the whole expensive.
Most of them have the disadvantage in that they are 200, 300, 4000+mph classes that need the space to accelerate and decelerate so you are suck with salt flats. . However there are 2 interesting classes the 600cc class and the 49ci class, both are around 120 to 150mph ish, ( though you can add a turbo and move into another class) but still not silly speeds needing 7+ miles for a run. . . just need a small thin driver and a couple of miles for a run and you are away. and before you say anything bolt two 4 cylinder motorcycle engine barrels together on special crank cases. . . . I recon the chassis could be done for under £750.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

kiwicar wrote:OK
that is a possible. . .
I was reading a copy of hot rod magazine the other night and there is a selection of the Bonneville stream-liners in there from this years racing . . .
Most of them have the disadvantage in that they are 200, 300, 4000+mph classes that need the space to accelerate and decelerate so you are suck with salt flats. . However there are 2 interesting classes the 600cc class and the 49ci class, both are around 120 to 150mph ish, ( though you can add a turbo and move into another class) but still not silly speeds needing 7+ miles for a run. . . just need a small thin driver and a couple of miles for a run and you are away. and before you say anything bolt two 4 cylinder motorcycle engine barrels together on special crank cases. . . . I recon the chassis could be done for under £750.
Best regards
Mike

Why are you still awake at this time of night Mike?? :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Straightliners do this quite regular.

Usually a mile though, although TOTB is 1km

It's usually for bikes and cars though, and dont think they've ever done specifically a 1/2 mile.

But if you had your own GPS gear, the venue would be there. They use a few different airfields around the country

http://www.straightliners.co.uk/events/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/straightliners/
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
a mile would be fine, I was just thinking of the shortest distance that would be meaningful so it could be fitted on a UK airfield, OK once the rebuild is done ob the dragster I shall start thinking about this in a little more detail.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

mgbv8 wrote:
kiwicar wrote:OK
that is a possible. . .
Best regards
Mike

Why are you still awake at this time of night Mike?? :)
This not having to get up at 0615 seems to suite me I am a little more awake at night. :D
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
a mile would be fine, I was just thinking of the shortest distance that would be meaningful so it could be fitted on a UK airfield, OK once the rebuild is done ob the dragster I shall start thinking about this in a little more detail.
Best regards
Mike
Another question you need to consider is stability ?

Will the car be stable for those extended periods at high speed ? Where you may reach Vmax before the end ?
A full mile is quite a long distance, and you could be talking 25-40 seconds depending on performance
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Stevie
there are lots of things to consider, the stream liner looks like an exercise to keep a wind tunnel busy for months and anything that is running flat out on limited power is going to have to sacrifice down-force and stability for top speed. . . This is already getting the brain going. I also think that the suspension system would need careful consideration, a runway is never going to be as smooth as salt, but it will also have better grip and not tend to dig in on ruts . . . . defiantly one to get the brain going now who weighs less than 16 1/2 stone and doesn't scare easily around here :D
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

8-)
TC

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

kiwicar wrote: the stream liner looks like an exercise to keep a wind tunnel busy for months

a runway is never going to be as smooth as salt
Mike,

For my 2015 Speed Week project (you can always come with me :D) I'm looking to get the car laser scanned and then use OpenFOAM (CFD freeware) to give some idea of the improvements I can make to the Healey for speed and stability. Sadly my motorsport contacts have faded away like a snowflake in the Bonneville sun when I've suggested they might like to let me 'borrow' the wind tunnel for a few hours.

People I have spoken to reckon that even runway tarmac is smoother than salt unless you get on it as soon as it has dried out from a downpour (BTW this year has been dreadful with washouts)

Have you thought of Pendine?

Cheers,

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Who needs aerodynamics :D just give it more power and it'll go faster lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Mr Mole
I had thought of Pendine, I wasn't sure if it was still used for such activity though. This is all really just thoughts at the moment, the dragster is the priority. I also re read the article. . . the two classes are running 220 to 250 region not 120 to 150 mph, but still more manageable than 450+ . . .
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Mike,

The VHRA ran at Pendine (see http://www.pendinelrc.com/) this year and there are plans to open up the venue further. I shall be hoping to use Pendine for some live testing before the trip. If you know the right people you could also get an invite to one of the VMAX events that you're not allowed to talk about :wink:. Also the Pendine club are using the same rule book as the SCTA and therefore you can get your vehicle pre-inspected if not pre-qualified. The SCTA rulebook is a good $25 well spent. Ask Karen for it for Christmas.

Cheers,

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

Return to “General Chat Area”