Rolling Road tuning....

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

109matt

Rolling Road tuning....

Post by 109matt »

Hello all !

Newbie here so please don't laugh too much if this is a daft question or two....

so i have just replaced the old stromburgs on my 3.5 with a new set of SU's now i have not managed to drive it yet to see if the issues i was having are sorted (mostly down to having to rewire most of the dash board as mice have had a little food party in there during the landy's 4 year sleep and things were a little sparky to say the least....)

i digress, would you say it was worth me forking out to have it set up on a rolling road and if so is there anyone around the derbyshire\staffordshire area that can do a Series landy that you would recommend ? ive never done anything like this before :-)

thanks all !!

old landys are like labrador pups, they get so excited every time they see you they wee on the drive

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
How standard is the engine? if it is near standard and by that I mean a standard tune for any rover out the factory with SUs then just look up the needles for that model and use them. If it differs say by a set of stage 1 heads and a slightly livlier cam then start with a needle from something fairly close and get a lambda sensor that is logable on a lappy (say an inovate LC1 http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php you can get them off ebay) and drive it around taking logs, get a needle chart and away you go. In the long run it will be cheeper than a rolling road and a good logable lambda probe makes it a DIY job.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

109matt

Post by 109matt »

Thanks Kiwicar ! thats a really useful reply !

ok so as for how standard i dont know, i know the motor was made by JE Engineering well at least the sticker on the rocker cover was lol ! and it does feel a very pokey motor compared with any other V8 that i have had before then again it could just be less warn out than any other !!

i will get the Lambda sensor and start having a look :D

thanks again !!
old landys are like labrador pups, they get so excited every time they see you they wee on the drive

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I dunno Strombergs - is there a way of relating the needles/jets etc in those to SU, assuming they were correct for the modified engine you have?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
There used to be "equivilance" charts but the carbs are not really a match in the way you might think, the needle profile change points are different because of the seperate ldle/transition circuit on the stromburg.
If it is a fairly tuned motor I would just select the correct springs for the pistons then put in a needle for something like an early SD1 , set it an extra 2 flats rich than factory and start logging, you should be safe and it will get you started, if you go for a first drive of say 10 minutes of mixed use, including some WOT on a hill or two then you should get something to bring you in pretty quickly. You may have to recheck that the pistons fully lift at about 500 revs short of max rpm and don't forget you can raise/lower the whole needle in the piston if you are moving the jet out of it's correct range in the floor of the carb.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “General Chat Area”