Mark Adams super chips

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Mark Adams super chips

Post by Big woof »

Hi all just a quick one does anyone know if mark Adams super chips Ecu specific programmed to work with the Ecu software or if they can be used in any 14cux Ecu. Thanks micheal

Land rover discovery 3.9 Hotwire v8 nick named Christine.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would advise you to look at another solution, a Mark Adams chip has to be blown to match the state of tune of the engine, each one is different and each one requires a fairly long dyno session. When you have forked out for this you are still left with the standard ECU that has just been re-mapped, if you make any further changes then you have to do it all again, it very quickly gets very expensive. If you by something like a megasquirt or Extra or most of the other low cost aftermarket ECU options you can reprogramme when you want using just your lap top, they all run at a clock cycle many many times that of the standard ECU even the most basic MSQ is many times more flexible than the chipped standard unit and will do a far better job.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

That’s said Mike the 14cux I has setup by Mark Adams drove as well if not better than my current setup. There is nothing wrong with the 14cux if setup correctly.

After every change I always go back to the dyno and get setup so the costs are similar in my case.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Reg
I think that is the issue, 90% of an ECUs performance is setting it up properly, there are those on here with Mark Adams set ups that have never got it to run right despite much dyno time, and those like you who have had great success. There are those who have never taken their MSQ to a rolling road but they get them to run right and those like myself who struggle with the complexity. I think my point is that in theory a set up like MSQ can be set up with a lap top and a stop watch and that it is not something you can do with a M/A chip in the standard ECU, though as you know I think it is very hard to find an "ideal" set up that is simple enough for a home tuner and still economic to produce and support properly :? I just feel spending money on a M/A superchip and setting up the standard ECU is a dead end.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mark Adams super chips

Post by DaveEFI »

Big woof wrote:Hi all just a quick one does anyone know if mark Adams super chips Ecu specific programmed to work with the Ecu software or if they can be used in any 14cux Ecu. Thanks micheal
If your engine is standard, the standard hotwire is pretty good when working correctly. If you have a modified engine, you need a map for that actual engine - for best results.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Big woof »

Well I am looking to fit a new cam shaft in the summer and a set off 4-2-1 headers and y peice with the middle box replaced hence me looking at chips for the Ecu I would fit mega squirt system or a quality replacement Ecu that is fully mappable but I can't justify the extra cost off the kits on a 18+ year old land rover with a very low resale value hence keeping the 14 cux system and looking at a remapped chip.
Problem is now that not many people do anything for the 14cux Ecu as it is old hat now. And don't actually seem too bad a price compared to a thousand pound bill for a kit to map the car

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

You could fit a MegaSquirt to simply replace the hotwire ECU for about 300 quid. A MS2 V3 can be bought for that used. Of course you'd need some wiring skills to modify the existing loom - but all the info needed is freely available. If you were willing to forgo the stepper motor idle, and go for a different arrangement, an MS1 at about 200 quid used would do - and still have more processing power than the original.

Of course if you want to have mapped ignition as well, the price goes up.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Big woof
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Big woof »

Not really too bothered about mapping it to be honest it's doing alright at the moment I just saw the chips on eBay and just thought that if I fit a slightly more aggressive cam shaft I would have to map it.
Trouble for me Dave is the cam shaft parts is going to cost around the region off at least £300 just for the parts mainly std parts so I am trawling eBay at the weekend and see what is kicking around in the from off old stock land rover parts. I thought about a replacement Ecu from ms but it is again the cost and as the wife bluntly put it the resale value off the car isn't that great she also said to get it running right And leave it alone.

Return to “General Chat Area”