Valeo electric turbo

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Valeo electric turbo

Post by teamidris »

I'm fiddeling about with a subaru at work and putting a rotex supercharger on it. But to get it nice I'll need to loose the possibility of dry-dump, as I will be using the forward pulley position. So I am considering electric supercharger as its ideal for a pressure boost before the main turbo kicks in. But the folks who developed it sold the rights to Valeo and it will take time to work my way through their bozo-filters. So I ask if anyone knows anyone sencible at Valeo I can ask for?
Hell of a long shot, but if you don't ask you don't get ;)

If not David Lazenby says he can make a new pulley set, and we'll ditch the dry sump option. Which in some ways is a cool option, as it's like getting Ralph Harris to paint your kitchen :)

I suppose the other question is why do I say yes to crazy projects :?

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

I stuck with the mechnical turbine supercharger and had a new crank pulley made that had another belt position.

Personally, if it were my personal build, I'd have tried a 5hp winch motor on the Rotex! But it isn't, so I havn't :wink:

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

you do realise that 5hp is 300 amps?

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

Yep, but only for a second or two. At the moment I do that for 3 seconds and maybe 150A for 30 seconds. (Or I did before I changed my main rear winch to hydraulic the other week). So its not as bad as it first sounds. And it sounds better to cane the alternator for a few seconds than waste power at the top end, turning a supercharger, when the turbo has taken over boost. Honestly, used as a bottom end boost, I can't think of a better power supply?

If I went this route I would have a second battery to save the ECU and only connect its charge with the throttle off and race-mode off. As I think contimous use would kill the bottom unecessarily quicky.
Worth noting that the winch motor will take 24 volt just to be cruel.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

sorry I thought you were still talking about the electric charger with a 5 HP motor which would obviously have to run all the time and not a min like a winch does.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I've read this thread several times and I still can't get my head around what you are talking about. :?
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

I think he's talking about this sort of idea, but using a winch motor coupled to a rotrex blower to provide the initial boost... although I could be wrong :D

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

volospian wrote:I think he's talking about this sort of idea, but using a winch motor coupled to a rotrex blower to provide the initial boost... although I could be wrong :D
for all the hassle involved I'd just used a small shot of nitrous!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Ah ok, makes more sense. These things definitely have a future but I cant see them being very common until the 48v systems become avaliable. Its just too many amps otherwise. For the quoted 2kW, that's 167A V 41A which is a massive difference on alternator, cable and battery requirement. It might only be running for short periods of time but say in town driving it will be on frequently.

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

I can't honestly say nitrous is crueler than boost from low rev? Having seen the Sube crank I can see it doing high hp at high rev, but not high torque at low rev :?
But they seemed pretty sure this is what they need to compliment the large turbo, which will lag like hell. Originally they planned an air-con clutch but have ditched that idea. I suggested the electric turbo, as it can get to full speed indipendantly of the engine. But I couldn't see how to get near the hardware?
The pipe work is also tricky. Compressing air makes it hot and putting these things in series is liable to melt the second turbine. Last plan we had was to have two inlets on the intercooler. Maybe one-way valves if the two compressors fight? That link is neat, but the air entering the MAF is going to be well hot? I havn't the option to develop a new MAF sensor set.

It did however tickle my mechatronic fancy, and I could see how the tech I run in winch challenge would run a rotex supercharger. But equally I run a 3.5 litre rover V8 so I dont have these problems. I got loads of torque. (too much for landy diffs) :lol:

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

P.S. And we have tried new stuff thinking about on this project. Darren tried Hydro-Forming an aluminium induction pipe. But it that will take more time to perfect. If it moves our knowledge base forward it has to be good. :D

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Crueller than boost? Sorry fella but half of what you say I can't understand at all, I mean literally it does not make any sense. Unsubscribed :?

teamidris
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by teamidris »

Yep, 'forum' isn't the best comunication system for me as I am dyslexic. But I get to design heat exchangers for some very interesting projects, and most of them are research and development. And sometimes what the customer wants looks brilliant, and sometimes a bit left field. I won't be getting on a downer just because I can't describe them :D

Return to “General Chat Area”