Garage heater?

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

v8250 wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:As others have said, the likes if insulated kingspan would be a quick fix for the roof and also help the heat situation
Have a friend who has a workshop at home, huge timber framed structure and fully clad and sealed with Kingspan walls and roof. It is the most practical garage one could ask for...controls humidity superbly, totally watertight and is the most comfortable place in which to work.
Does the kingspan stuff replace the roof then? How does it work

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Yes, it replaces the roof. You simply build a sloped wooden frame and inter lay and fix the Kingspan sheets to the frame, sealing as you go along. It has good structural loading, comes in multiple thicknesses with excellent insulation performance. It's also light in weight so ideal for single skin/wood framed buildings. Readily available new and there's always a good supply of NOS/used stock available on ebay.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

My garage already has a sloping wooden framed roof, that's what the corrugated panels are bolted to. Might have to look into this then, depends on cost tho.

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

chodjinn wrote:My garage already has a sloping wooden framed roof, that's what the corrugated panels are bolted to. Might have to look into this then, depends on cost tho.
And also load ratings of the existing wood. Be sure to get spread load calcs' from any supplier/manufacturer...or the roof could be insulating the floor :shock: Seriously, it's important...and luckily very easy to work out. Also, these type of roofing panels are great in that they come in different lengths and can be cut/bought to run a single span width with the slope ensuring no seams on the downward slope :. no seams/joins/risk of future leaking.

This should give you an idea on price

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AinscoughMetal ... 5040965015

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

If the wood can take the big ass asbestos concrete panels it should be able to take those. I'm assuming I would cover the roof in some kind of paneling and then insulate from underneath. Not cheap though.

Might be cheaper to source some plywood and tar sheeting then insulate from underneath.

The front and rear of the garage brick walls rise above the roof level so would need sealing somehow. I might be best just getting a quote off someone ...

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

I bought a Clarke Devil fan heater thing a couple of years ago. I only have a single garage, but after about half an hour I have to turn it off as I'm roasting.

I suppose it depends what you're doing too. Standing around grinding or on the lathe you'll probably want more heat than if you're bolting a diff in or fitting coilovers....

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

I bought a Clarke Devil fan heater thing a couple of years ago. I only have a single garage, but after about half an hour I have to turn it off as I'm roasting.

I suppose it depends what you're doing too. Standing around grinding or on the lathe you'll probably want more heat than if you're bolting a diff in or fitting coilovers....

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

r2d2hp wrote:I have just bought a paraffin space heater. Heats my small garage in about 2 minutes. It also has a thermostat so cuts in and out but would not want to leave it running unattended. 800 degrees C from its nozzle

http://www.trueshopping.co.uk/product/T ... 88087.html
Reg!
Have you really bought a 50kw heater ?? No wonder it heats up quickly in that small garage :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

volospian wrote:I bought a Clarke Devil fan heater thing a couple of years ago. I only have a single garage, but after about half an hour I have to turn it off as I'm roasting.

I have an uninsulated double garage and use a 10kw propane heater like the clarke devil. It can be -5 outside but when I put the heater on the garage is warm by the time I've brewed a cuppa. I have also mounted a couple of desk fans to the rafters in the garage to blow warm air back down.
I have to throttle the gas supply down after 15 mins as it gets way to hot to work. You nly need aobut 14kw to heat a 3 bed house so 10kw in a double garage is plenty :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I have Pel. Was not looking for such a large heater but it came up for sale in Amersham. It was new but did not work. Fixed in 2 min once home - was missing the bung where the pressure gauge fits :-) Youre welcome to borrow it

Return to “General Chat Area”