Engine judder

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rs_v8

Engine judder

Post by rs_v8 »

Hi guys

I took my car out the other day for a quick blast, when I got home I turned off the ignition and the car started to judder for around 4 seconds like it was trying to keep running.
I took it back out later and the same happened again anyone know what this is?

Thanks Steve

FAST AND LOUD

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

It's called Dieseling and is a sign that something is not well in the engine of fuel system.
Dieseling can occur for several reasons:

Built-up carbon in the ignition chamber can glow red after the engine is off, providing a mechanism for igniting unburnt fuel. Such a thing can happen when the engine runs very rich, depositing unspent fuel and particles on the pistons and valves. Similarly, rough metal regions within the piston chamber can cause this same problem, since they can glow red. It has also been suggested that an improperly rated spark plug can retain heat and cause the same problem.
A carburetor that does not completely close can contribute to running once the engine is off, since the extra fuel and oxygen mixture can combust easily in the warm piston chamber. Similarly, hot vaporized oil gases from the engine crankcase can provide ample fuel for dieseling.
Incorrect timing.
An engine that runs too hot or too lean may produce an environment conducive to allowing unspent fuel to burn.
An idle speed that is too fast can leave the engine with too much angular momentum upon shutdown, raising the chances that the engine can turn over and burn more fuel and lock itself into a cycle of continuous running.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Was called 'running on' before the US term dieseling started to be used here. Was common when cast iron heads were the norm - ally tends to stop things getting hot enough. Some makers even fitted devices to prevent it like a valve controlled by the ignition switch which admitted air to weaken the mixture so much it wouldn't burn.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

Cheers lads now I know what its called I will look into it and see what I can do. Do you think there is an additive I could use?
FAST AND LOUD

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
you could take the air filter off and get a pump up style plant sprayer like this http://www.pest-expert.com/pressure-sprayer-170-p.asp put tap water in it start the engine and stick it on a fast idle, better still get an assistant in the car and get them to run the engine from idle to about 2 k revs, while they do this spray the water as a mist into the inlet manifold. Run about a liter or two through the engine, it should do a nice top end de-coke for you, and if carbon build up was the problem it should fix it, put the air filter back on and drive and enjoy.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

Cheers mike sounds like a plan :)
FAST AND LOUD

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

What engine are we talking about?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

Rover v8 mate
FAST AND LOUD

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

rs_v8 wrote:Rover v8 mate
Interesting - I've never known of a standard RV8 running on - including some pretty old clunkers. Are the plugs the correct ones? The timing correct - not retarded? The mixture correct - not weak?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

Its a 4.6 its only got 6.5k on it its got stage 3 heads standard bottom end as far as im aware, it runs 100bhp nitrous so if the timing has been retarded for nitrous use this could cause this to happen but why only happen a couple of times recently? I took it out just around the block and nothing now :/

Steve
FAST AND LOUD

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

If you are running retarded timing on petrol, then yes, it will run hotter so more chance of running on.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

rs_v8

Post by rs_v8 »

Ahh ok then cheers :)
FAST AND LOUD

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I could get my 4.6 to run on when the compression was about 12:1.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “General Chat Area”