e-bay buick 300 heads

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

e-bay buick 300 heads

Post by bones »

hi all just saw these on e-bay, cant get the number link up though, they are on djev8 shop, not sure if anyone is interested,they are in the rover v8 section, :D rich.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

They're the heavy cast iron jobbies not the ally ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-V8-Buick-30 ... dZViewItem
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

I guess they still have the potential to flow excellently and make good power? Less liable to warp too, being cast iron I would have though?

Must weigh a fair bit more though, as you say.

Offtopic I've read a fair few times that 300 heads will 'drop straight on' to a 3.5 Rover. Is this fact or wild fantasy? :D Looks like you can get some real grunt from them if so...

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

They should bolt onto a rover block however their chamber size is very big and can drop the compression ratio alot which is difficult to get around plus you may have issues with bolt hole location for anciliary parts.

They do however have alot more potential for airflow than standard rover castings which is what makes them desirable.

Its a topic thats been covered a fair few time before so have a look around the old forum and you'll see whats been done with them. One member on here uses them on his sd1 i believe.
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

I'll have a nose around :D

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

I believe the iron heads do require more work in the head gasket area before you can use them, the ally ones are slightly different too but the iron ones more so. I have had a look at this pair when i went up to dje in the summer, the exhaust valves arent that big, inlets are ok but the ports are huge! a lot of work to make them useable on any rover engine imo. They are very heavy too, which detracts from the main selling point of the rover v8 too.

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

The 300 iron heads have slightly bigger ports than the earlier alloy ones, however the cooling waterways are different and require some work to get them to fit a Rover.

Raising the compression ratio involves either swapping in pistons with a smaller dish, or welding up the combustion chambers to reduce their volume. You can mill a fair bit off the faces and use tin gaskets too.

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

my mate bought these heads there bloody heavy but just looking at them i can tell these have potential the inlet valves are huge i measured the inlet at 47mm and the exhaust i think were 36 or 38, but the ports are massive and so is the chambers, they also have cast in valve guides

Return to “General Chat Area”