This Website

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I am very happy with things as they are, my lap top at home is 5 years old and when things go slow I have been blaming it :? at work I just blame the network we have here (its 45000 users covering officers on all continents except antarctica and we have all the phones on it) the bit I'm on is rubbish after 3pm :wink: :lol: . I am very happy to just keep blaming my end if things don't work perfectly. :D :D .
Tony as far as I'm concerned you are a top bloke who can do no wrong, this site is the dogs and I'll blame anything else before the V8 Forum.
Keep it up
Mike

poppet valves rule!

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

It does have occasional go-slows but I'm not sure it's purely the hosting - I had 30+ sites with this co until fairly recently, with no probs. Very little need to call on their support at all.
The prob is that everything is a balance. 1&1 the prev hosts may have been cheapish, but the service and reliability sucked. Bandwidth costs, and so does decent support, which is why US hosts can work out well - they can be better on price than UK hosts, bigger market.

T will post later in the admin area, got a suggestion that may help

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Cheers Guys,
no worries Bill,
was going to pop a post in there for you and marki but will wait on your idea first :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwi303
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by kiwi303 »

want me to ask the NZ host here what he would quote for a 20 or 30 Gb/month hosting? if it was 7 to 10 previously, 20 should provide a bit of buffer to grow into. how much is the server side HDD space required?

The problem I see is he uses Unix servers and not MySQL through he has said MySQL databases can be converted to UNIX server databases.

he runs one of NZ's biggest hunting forums in a YaBB format rather than the PhPBB this forum uses. so not sure how much help it might be.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Something to be aware of is the way the GBP has become the poor relative

If you are paying for USA hosting expect at least a 30% hike in cost (in GBP terms) just because of the exchange rate moving - causing havoc inporting stuff at the moment!

5 months ago we aere at about 1.9 today it was 1.44 USD = 1 GBP

The way it is going in another month we'll be on par with the Euro1

Mr Brown screwed the economy good and proper!

That said I will continue to support as and when necessary - the information has proved invaluable on numerous occasions

Ian
Last edited by Ian Anderson on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i set this up on the 4th DEC about 5am in the morning before i headed out to work, and this is the traffic and bandwidth for this month so far:

Reported period Month Dec 2008
First visit 04 Dec 2008 - 00:15
Last visit 06 Dec 2008 - 01:49

Viewed traffic *
Unique visitors:

Number of visits:
784 (1.66 visits/visitor)

Pages:
11261 (14.36 pages/visit)

Hits:
95791 (122.18 hits/visit)

Bandwidth:
154.96 MB (202.4 KB/visit)

Not viewed traffic *
Pages:

Hits:

Bandwidth:
55.33 MB

* Not viewed traffic includes traffic generated by robots, worms, or replies with special HTTP status codes.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Dangerdoc

Forum moans and groans

Post by Dangerdoc »

Hi All,

I am very concerned at what I am reading.

Despite posts saying that they are not whining, they clearly are "where does my money go" and banging on about times where the site runs slow.

Tough! The free aspect of this site is fantastic. The information contained herein and the fact that it is centralised is invaluable in all respects.

The admin guys have taken the time to give detailed explanations and have had their valuable time taken up with this nonsense. They should be given the gratitude and respect they deserve for making, and continuing to make, this site as good as it is.

There is no grounds whatsoever to bang on about slow issues in the manner in which it has been presented. By all means drop a pvt message to one of the admin guys to highlight a genuine concern about performance but clearly they are aware of this occasional issue.

If you are using this forum, you are searching for information about a subject that is important to you. How long will it take to browse all over the web for bits of information.

Put up with an occasional slow bit of running, hell even the ISP's drag their heels from time to time. Yes I have had the same problem, but you know what - so what, let it take it's time, things will be OK shortly thereafter.

So stop whinging and banging on about your voluntary - did you get that bit - voluntary contributions made as there was no pressure to do so in any way. Do you phone up the Red Cross or Unicef et.... if you make a donation to them and ask them to tell you how they spent your donation?

Well done to all the admin guys / girls and also to all those most excellent knowledgeable persons who contribute to this excellent forum that has saved many of us from scrapping kit or making very very expensive mistakes.

I don't care what the response from the whingers are to this post, I am not interested, as I feel that the site speaks volumes for itself.

Doc

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

looks like doc said it all, i didnt even notice the site was slow, the forum has helped me out loads. keep up the good work all, :D rich

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

:whs
I'm happy...

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

csr
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by csr »

:whs not a great fan of these things but think this one fits the bill.

would very much like to be associated with the comments of "Dangerdoc"

and everyone else who hates whingers.

Just some of what we do

scotb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by scotb »

:whs :)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

csr wrote::whs not a great fan of these things but think this one fits the bill.

would very much like to be associated with the comments of "Dangerdoc"

and everyone else who hates whingers.
Firstly, i think dangerdoc needs to read the thread again.

I clearly said I wasn't winging I just wanted an explanation, which I got in the form of the fact this forum is hosted in the US. I didn't know that, and it explains a lot. I am completely computer illiterate when it comes to stuff like bandwith and hostings etc. but cheers for explaining it in a simple way Tony et al.

Neither was I complaining about the forum, members, topics or anything else; time over I have complemented everyone and everything (almost) about this forum as it has helped me numerous times.

As for the money, fair enough, but Tony has only said about gold members donations paying for things, what about forum contributors?? And can someone kindly tell me the difference, unless it's just a monetary thing??

Tony; u have PM
Last edited by chodjinn on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

due to this f***** bickering 3 members today asked to be removed from the playground,

the gold members and donations will be removed from the forum as from the end of this year,

also when the the domain is up for renewal next year i will not be renewing so the forum will close,
sorry guys coming home from work today to find 3 members asking to leave the playground, then to come on and read this post today has made my mind up
Last edited by Coops on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

gold is/was a yearly donation contribution a one off of no fixed amount,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

scotb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by scotb »

Return to “General Chat Area”