Newbie after advice?!?

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jonny_5_is_alive

Newbie after advice?!?

Post by Jonny_5_is_alive »

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and as the subject suggests I'm after some advice. I have a 1991 Nisssan D21 Pick up which does not have a V8... yet!
I've just acquired a '87 Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carbs off my old man (who wanted me to scrap it for him???) I know this conversion has been done hundreds of times in Hilux's but does anyone know how difficult it will be in a D21? I've seen the yanks do it but with bigger V8's that resulted in extensive cutting and welding in the engine bay.
Also how do I go about getting it supercharged??

Cheers
Jonny 5

Jonny 5 is alive..... for now

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I don't know this conversion but to start with I would get out a tape measure and see what space you have between the shock towere and between the bulk head and front cross member. The dimensions of the rover are available with a google so that is stage 1. If you can find a conversion for other V8s then that will give you clues where you will hit problems. From memory the rover with a RR water pump is longer than the Small block chevy by about an inch but shorter than the ford 302, slightly narrower than both, but only by about 2" and about 1 inch shorter rocker covers to sump, however I would check as this is from memory. You will have to be carefull about what you cut in the engine bay/ bulkhead area as you may end up needing an IVA test and re registering, check the threads on here that cover it.
As far as supercharging is concerned, it really depends on how extensive your fabricaion skills are and what you want to achieve with the engine, however a blower on a 3.5 that will stay together for more than a few thousand miles and give you more than about 300 bhp will cost you well over £3500 in parts and fabrication, it will need to be freshly rebuilt with an ARP bottom end new SD1 Pistons and (recon on £1600 for 3-71 blower kit from UK blowers atleast). about a grand less will get you about 350+bhp from a 350 chevy and £3200 will get it from a 302 ford without the blower and both will be bullet proof.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Your Cars”