V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Modern V8 Twist..!!!

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi guy's

New to this forum, I have looked at some of the cars owned by some of the members and hope mine, which is a bit newer than most, will fit in.

I love V8 engines and in the past I have had a mk5 cortina with a 3.5 rover v8, and a capri with the same engine, but strayed of the path for a little while as I wanted more power, so I have owned up untill last year a 400bhp saphire cosworth which I had for 8 years.

But I still yearned for that noise, the V8 burble.

So I stripped the sierra and sold for parts (worth more that way), and decided to biuld the car that would hopefully give me the power and noise that required.

My wife has owned a BMW 323i 1998 for about 8 years so when the head gasket went again (185000 miles) I thought thats it, she didn't want to scrap it as it's still a good car, so the donor car had arrived.

The plan is for a rear wheel drive 340 - 350bhp saloon car that burbles, not many rover derivatives get that kind of power without spending more money than I had so another make was required, cheap and powerfull.!

I found the engine by pure luck, switch on the computer, on ebay and bought an 4.4ltr V8 7series engine for £300, and 15 months later and here we are......

Some pic's hope you like.

Hope you like, will post more pic's soon.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hello Matey
Welcome to the forum and yep you will fit in here just fine.
I love what you have done to the car.
We have a 320i Touring and would love for that to have the burble coming from the back.
Was the conversion straight forward or a pain in the arse?
Please let's have more pics and a first name as well.

cheers
Paul

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Just a quick vid of when she was first running..!!

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello Paul,

She's not an easy conversion, of the 15 months she took to biuld, 8 where research and developement.

Oil pump is the kicker really, Alpina did produce this as a model, well 221 of them any way, but even they didn't get it right, lot's of special and very expensive parts to buy if you do it their way, and it's to far forward, makes them handle funny..!!

I came up with the idea and then got a mate with a machine shop to help, to create a new oil pump, then made a new sump...

A lot of back and forth to get it right, but got there in the end and I'm very pleased with her so far, so hope to post more pic's and spec etc.

And I'm Steve and I'm from suffolk

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Steve
That is so sweet.
Have spoken to Mrs gelmonkey about slipping in a V8 to her BMW but she not keen.
Mind you am building her toy in the garage at the moment so I guess 3 V8's may be a bit more than she is willing to accept.
Strange creatures ,women,can't see the problem myself :lol:
Lets have some more pics please .

cheers
P

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello again,

After looking through different post, I have found a few about the conversion that I have carried out on my BMW and how difficult or how expesive etc it is to do and what alternatives there are.

So I will start a thread in the Engine swaps and conversions erea giving an idea and some detail as to what I did and the cost and options that are avaliable and some pic's of the biuld as it took place..

Return to “Your Cars”