MK1 Capri Gunston Perana replica (almost!)

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nosman

MK1 Capri Gunston Perana replica (almost!)

Post by nosman »

Did a revamp on the old nail, went for extra grip, so wider wheels and it all snowballed a bit! All done at the minimal expense, cos i figure anyone can run fast by throwing money at a car!

First ever spray job, done in january with 3 inches of snow outside, so im quite pleased with it all in!

the more recent pics show the change to rear exhausts on the grounds of noise reduction! and some front wheel spacers to fill the front arches!!

otherwise, justa mild rover v8 (3.5) with a 32/36 dgav carb and a few other tweaks, single 75bhp nitrous hit, reliant back axle (really!) slap bars, few other bits and bobs!

hope you like, any questions, feel free to ask!

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

I like!! :D

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

cool!
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

I like it,nice job :D rich

bobtail84
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bobtail84 »

Very nice. Being an Essex boy I've had a few Capri's in my time and the Mk1 is my fave.

Jeff
Range Rover 3.9 with MegaSquirt and EDIS

www.essex-ms.co.uk

v8trev
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8trev »

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

with lots of 'O's and a capital D !

nosman

Post by nosman »

thanks guys, very pleased myself, never painted a car before, so quite a result for me! just to add, the stripes are painted on too, i will be adding some lettering eventually to finish it when i can get it sorted!!

For my next trick i intend a V8 skyline, should be nice if i can find a sensibly priced shell anywhere!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Thought it worth metioning that the 32/36 is not exactly a tweak - it flows less than the original SU's

As a comparison the 390 Holley flows 390CFM at 20" WG - the 32/36 flows 203 CFM at 20" WG

The 38DGAS is the one to fit which can be modified to flow 318CFM at 20"WG.

You also have a progressive choke arrangement and unequal choke diameters facing the inlet ports to the manifolds - not a good performance combination

The stock 3.5 needs a carb capable of at least 300CFM@20" really, a stock 38DGAS would not get you all the way there but it would be a good start.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

nosman

Post by nosman »

Darkspeed wrote:Thought it worth metioning that the 32/36 is not exactly a tweak - it flows less than the original SU's

As a comparison the 390 Holley flows 390CFM at 20" WG - the 32/36 flows 203 CFM at 20" WG

The 38DGAS is the one to fit which can be modified to flow 318CFM at 20"WG.

You also have a progressive choke arrangement and unequal choke diameters facing the inlet ports to the manifolds - not a good performance combination

The stock 3.5 needs a carb capable of at least 300CFM@20" really, a stock 38DGAS would not get you all the way there but it would be a good start.

Andrew
Dont worry, a lot of people make that mistake, it is a huge improvement over the su's and much much better suited than a 38dgas

i replaced a pair of hif44's, that were ported to within an inch of their life, in fact they flowed so much air i couldnt keep the idle below 2000 rpm regardless of what i did! well except much stronger springs and that stopped the snap acceleration.

The intake sees both sides of the carb as i opened the dividers in the manifold to make an open plenum, therefore get the best of both worlds, i get good low end torque with good vacuum until i give it WOT where it sees the whole carb and full power, the 38dgas was way too large in this scenario and gave good top end power, but very little below 4000 rpm, so wasnt a good compromise at all.

plus its better on fuel and the weber is far less "agricultural" than a holley, they are much more refined in their operation, plus i had one (that one!) spare off the 1600gt engine i took out!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Interesting comment that your consider it a common mistake as you are the first person I have come across to say that a 32/36DGAV performs better than SU's or the DGAS.

My experiences are in complete contrast from work we did on stock 3.5 which backed up the flow measurements on the flow bench.

The DGAV was pretty poor compared to the stock SU's, the DGAS was a marked improvement on both and in the end we went with the best we could get cheap which was a 40DIF5 30mm chokes. That carb has just been improved on with a modified DGAS.

Very nice car though - mate of mine has or did have the last time I checked a genuine and original BG Perana
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

nosman

Post by nosman »

i do know the su's and dgas flow better than the dgav, they will, as they are much larger, but the dgas is simply too large for part throttle low down the rev range, agrivated by the fact that both butterflys open together, the gas speed was great high up, but at part throttle i just had no power at all, i agree that high up it probably made more, but on the road it was far less tractable.

i know in part taht is due to each cylinder seeing both barrels of the carb at the same time, as opposed to a stock engine where each cylinder only ever sees one carb [SU] and generally people use the same principal with the dgas, one barrel per cylinder, but i opened mine out.

either way it works best for me!

was theguy with the perana called dave eady?? a datona yellow car with black bonnet, pins, leather recaros and a 5 speed manual conversion??

i did a classic ford belgium trip with a the ablove guy a lot of years ago, i had a green mk1 at the time running the same engine, but in full street trim

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Team Gunston colours - one of my favourite!

Probably because they the team was owned / run by Lohn Love - from my home town of Bulawayo way back in the 1970's - First class person who drove lare into his 60's

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

nosman wrote:
was theguy with the perana called dave eady?? a datona yellow car with black bonnet, pins, leather recaros and a 5 speed manual conversion??

i did a classic ford belgium trip with a the ablove guy a lot of years ago, i had a green mk1 at the time running the same engine, but in full street trim
My mates name is Richard Wood - its Primrose yellow IIRC colour scheme is the original Perana - Black wing tops running back along the door tops and round the rear window only - Louvred back window - stock 3000GXL interior and manual four speed - Borg Warner limited back end.
Original '71 rostyles.

When he bought the car is was red and had been modified with facelift front end alloys etc. - He contacted BG who gave him the original factory build spec and he stripped it all and rebuilt it - He then gave the 302 a hike in power to 330BHP which through 185/70/13 was entertaining to say the least.

Cheers

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Your Cars”