What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

sd1 1978 pick up.......LPG....V8....3500...Manual

Post by Monster V8 »

I bought it yesterday in East Yorkshire (Hull) It drives very well, Chris VDP has had a drive today and we both cant belive it is running on gas. The guy i bought it from (Ricky) had converted it to lpg and did the pick up conversion around 1984 for a customer, he then bought it from then around 5 years ago.

I have just installed a new stereo today,

Sony Mexbt3700u ipod,usb,hands free etc great peice of kit.
Last edited by Monster V8 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

i was looking at that, 8) 8) :D rich

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

bones wrote:i was looking at that, 8) 8) :D rich
Had to be done, drives great 8-)

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

you lucky lucky, person :D

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Damn, I want that! Perfect for me!

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

The truck took the Monster out for a walk

v8trev
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by v8trev »

OP, you have a PM ;)

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

That looks great. What a shame Rover didn't produce it - a V8 SD1 Ute. The Aussies would be lining up to buy them, looks so cool.

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

Robrover wrote:That looks great. What a shame Rover didn't produce it - a V8 SD1 Ute. The Aussies would be lining up to buy them, looks so cool.
thank you, still loads of work to do :shock:

dbv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dbv8 »

I like it :D
10.612 @ 129.77
176.5 standing mile.

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

my sd1 pick up is in practical clasic magazine october 2011 on page 26, amazing what photo shop can do lol

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

it looks nice now with the series one front back on as it should be

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

I have taxed and insured the pick up today but still having my old problem with hot starting, I have even had my mate round to have a look at the issue we have put new spark plugs and all the usual stuff checking it out etc etc.... I have even got pictures to prove it [8D]

Hot starting problem

I wonder if anyone can help me with my problem of starting when hot. Its an 3500 V8 EFI engine.

When she is at running temperature (hot) if you were to turn it off and try and start it back up again it would not start. It sounds like the battery is not man enough to turn it over, but I have had a battery test done and it is holding charge and the cells are fine. I know the alternator is working as its sitting around the 13 volts constant so the battery is not a problem. It sounds as though its turning over very very slowly, just not fast enough for it to start. Once the engine has cooled down, its starts no problem. If its cold or hot, it runs as it should do with no problem, the only problem is it starting when its hot. I am not quite sure what this could be, any ideas would be great, I am not mechanic it just feels and sounds like a lazy starter motor when its hot, has anyone experienced this before? What I don’t want to do it change the starter motor when its not that…..

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Drop a high torque gear reduction starter in, I was amazed at how much better it turned over and it was half the weight of the original SD1 starter. I got a TR8 GRS (Nippondenso)from Classic Car Performance in the US .

http://www.britishstarters.com/Triumph.htm

The TR8 and the Land Rover Starters are one in the same. Solenoid on the side or underneath does not mean anything as these starters can be rotated to your liking and for clearance.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Robrover wrote:Drop a high torque gear reduction starter in, I was amazed at how much better it turned over and it was half the weight of the original SD1 starter. I got a TR8 GRS (Nippondenso)from Classic Car Performance in the US .

http://www.britishstarters.com/Triumph.htm

The TR8 and the Land Rover Starters are one in the same. Solenoid on the side or underneath does not mean anything as these starters can be rotated to your liking and for clearance.
I have one of these on my SD1. Works just fine. It does sound rather odd at the point when the engine fires - perhaps a one way clutch operating? The fitting flange is also thicker at one mounting hole so is best with a longer bolt. You can also use an ordinary one rather than the Allan head type.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Your Cars”