What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

photos

Post by mx5v8 »

Here are some photos of underneath, could do with cleaning up, hope they are of some use.
If you google 'andys V8 MX5' some info comes up on one that was built a few years back. This one is now owned by a chap who lives close to the Dartford tunnel, whose in the process of rebuilding it (3.9efi). He's on the MX5Nutz.com forum. forum name 14500rpm. Unlike me sounds as if he knows what he's doing so maybe a good contact as well as being closer to you.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

All makes sense! Bet it sounds nice- and loud! Was wondering how the rear diff would fix and the pics show it well, plus the extra gearbox supports! Many thanks!

ps I see you still have the std driveshafts on the back...!, what are the brakes like?

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

brakes

Post by mx5v8 »

Brakes are more or less standard apart from being Greenstuff pads with drilled and slotted discs. They do stop the car ok as I have found out :!:
I will upgrade them to 1.8 when I can get hold of some caliper brackets, just missed out on a set recently.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

are the 1.8 ones much bigger?- front and back?

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

brakes

Post by mx5v8 »

topcatproduction wrote:are the 1.8 ones much bigger?- front and back?
No not that much bigger but according to people who have done it a worthwhile upgrade that doesn't cost the earth, unlike some of the available upgrades.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Is your radiator a standard mx5 size but 52mm thick? How does it cope with the heat?

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

rad

Post by mx5v8 »

Non standard radiator. It's a Godspeed ally rad I got from America, MX5MAD wanted £400 so I got mine of ebay U.S.(new) FOR £150.
as you probably know the rover normally has 11.5 ltrs the mx only 6.5 ltrs so it had a tendency to overheat when I first got it.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Yea I was looking at alloy ones on ebay- obviously they are standard width and height but 2" thick- just wanted to check that yours isnt massive and needed body chopping to fit! (i.e. the same as the one I'm looking at!) Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb as to how big your rad has to be to how many bhp or something?

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Just another question- where do your exhaust pipes go between the headers and gearbox?
TC

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mx5v8 »

topcatproduction wrote:Just another question- where do your exhaust pipes go between the headers and gearbox?
I thought I had some photos will have another look. Hope this makes sense, they hug the sub-frame and come out level with the clutch slave cylinder.
Andy

Return to “Your Cars”