V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Wide Arch sd1

Post by Monster V8 »

Hi All

I thought I would put some pictures of my wide arch SD1 UP, Still in progress lots of work to do.....

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

standard engine or all juiced up?

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

it has a 4.2 tvr lump....

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

I have just got it on the road MOT, first time i have driven it...

Drove like a dream loads of power sounds great but after one day the Diff gave up

I have been down to the garage today,
1. The diff has broken up/ ceased
2. The shaft that comes out of the gear box that the prop joins to has completely sheared off from the gear box end.(there is no shaft coming out of the gear box anymore)

not sure what to do now, he said he will get some prices for me on Monday.

not sure if i can get another limited slip diff, and not sure if the standard one will last also not sure wht is the case with the gear box now.????????????

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

A bit more information would help, firstly you said an Atlas LSD so what axle is it?

What led to the total transmission failure, did the gearbox seize which lead to damage to the axle or vice versa?

Although relatively easy to replace failed parts it's not going to be cheap and I would want to know what caused it in the first place, as clearly you would not want it to happen again.

For example could there have been any missalignment of the gearbox, propshaft and back axle.

The standard LT77 gearbox should be quite capable of handling the power and torque of the 4.2 engine as should the SD1 axle, if that is what you have, so unless there was an existing problem with the gearbox and or axle, you do need to find out what caused it.

Kevin.

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

Hi Kevin

I was turning right out of a side turning, probably too much right foot as the wheels begun to spin and then bang! no drive at all.

The car had been of the road for years, I have had a bit of work done to it e.g. new steering rack, hand brake cable, rear shoes and pistons, service plugs, oil so on, all of the underneath cleaned and painted. The most important thing an MOT.
I have owned it for about a year, it has been garaged for that year while I prepered it back for the road.

The guy who had this before me had this built for a track drift car so I only know what he said he had done to it e.g.

THIS WAS HIS ADD
UNFINISHED PROJECT 1983 Rover SD1

with 4.2 TVR Chimera V8 (3.9 worked on) Atlas Rear Axcel, Full Stainless Exhaust system, Stainless induction kit, Samco Hoses,
GAZ suapension, 9x18" Rear and 8X18" Front KEI D1 alloys (Converted to 5&115 stud pattern). TVR Cebera AP Racing Front brakes with Mitsubishi EVO 8 Discs.

One off Pro Build Adjustable Rear Wing, Thunder Saloon arches and Rear doors wealded and smoothed off with no door handles. Stripped out with a Corbeau Evolution Kevlar Seat and 5 point Harnesses.

Need work to finish. Ran a side ways 12 second Quater and Drifts smoothely.

as I said this is all I know about the car from when I bought it..

I hope there is enogh information here for you

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

Hi

Just a qwick update,
The monster v8 now has a new
quaiffe diff
crown wheel and pinion
Gear box rebuild

Also had a blow on the manifold which i have just fixed today, Strange as there was two nuts missing so i gum gumed the join and put two new nuts in and voila no more blow.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

You have ran a 12 second quarter with a 4.2 RV8 in an SD1? :shock:

Running it on methanol?! Nice 8-)

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

Hi Just a bit of an update with some pictures........

As you can see bellow i have the body kit over the rear bumper all moulded on the bumper (took ages to get this right)also i have moulded this to the car.

I have also completed the body work so there are no cracks dents on the join on the back doors.
I have removed the plastic trim that said rover on it (c post) i have fibre glased this along with the door seals to help give the illusion of a two door.
I have still got to remove the door handale, as there will be no door handels on the car at all.

Getting there slowly[;)]

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

i started to put the bmw m style wing mirrors on, these had to be cut about and moulded on the car

a bit of rubing down

I have fiber glassed and filled the gap between the rear door and the b post, to try and give it the two door look

i need a good clean up my work shop is geting messey

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

trying to get a good finish...

I have done so work on the engine bay, all ready for some paint

I have moded the engine bay by changing the shape where the batt tray is (was) as i have taken out the brakets and given it a finish....

the engine has been covered so the engine bay can some paintwith out geting paint everywhere

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

before

after

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

I have filled over the fibre glass and gave it a smooth finish.

I have filled and smoothed over the fibre glass could be a bit tricky as i have filled over rubber pipe that protects the cables going to the central locking and the electric windows wires, it is also an entrance to the plate where the door lock bolts onto the b post. I have to make sure after painting i take time when putting this lock bracket back on not to let the plate fall to the bottom of the b post.

I have had to do something with the big nut and bolt that was showing on the inside so i decided to cut them down (out came my new bosch grinder)i cut them right down. I then grinded down the area back to bare metal and fibre glassed and filled this so i have a nice smoothed finish, it looks good i am pleased with this.

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

The monster was pulled out the garage on its skates for the first time in years.
just a bit of an update of how she is geting on,
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/w8qka0.jpg[/IMG

i am going to get the front bumper sorted this weekend and the she is nearly there, ready for some paint

Monster V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Monster V8 »

I have done some work on the front of the car over the last 3 days.

i have cleaned and plastic primered the head lights, they have have had several coats of black paint.

The deep chin and front bumper are on the car at last both have had to be modifed to fit (because of the wide arch) i have had to make brackets for the deep chin to fit with extra strenth.

I have fitted and molded a wire mesh on the s1 panel that is fitted under the lights.

The pannel is for a S1 and the lights are for a S2 so i have had to cut the panel about to get this to fit.

This does cause some problems as the adjustment for the s2 lights are at the bottom, but you cant get to them as they are coverd by this s1 panel. so i am having to put the lights in now and do some lining up, these will have to be in when it has it spray job.
I have completey cleaned and primered the area under the lights and because this will not get sprayed, they have been hammerite painted so should be fine.

This is the first time i have put my new S1 bonnet on the car,it is just sitting on it but it is strating to look like a car again.

i have also fitted a mesh grill in the hole between the deep chin and the bumper.

The BMW m3 wing mirrors are both on and one is finished i just need to finish the other one now.

Return to “Your Cars”