What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

1988 Corvette Z52.....

Post by Lewis »

Another one! What is it with me and single marque fetishes....

Firstly, excuse it being dirty in the pics but what can I say, I didn't buy it to look at it!

Anyway - It's a 1988 Chevrolet Corvette C4 - specifically, a Z52.

The Z52 was the top-flight option, with an options list including uprated suspension, race anti-roll bars, quickrack, uprated 13" vented front discs with vented 12" rears, four pot calipers all round, optional 6 way power seats, standard air con, climate, PAS, ABS, cruise control and more...

It currently packs the later alloy-headed L98 5.7 V8, generating a very un-stressed 245BHP and a stump-pulling 340ft.lb of torque, put down through a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission, with the power being distributed at the rear by an LSD.

It's in excellent health for it's age but does need some TLC - very minor fettling and a good wash and a wax to bring the paint back to life. Should be the same colour as my first one! Previous owner has done little to care for the bodywork barring (urg) throw a bucket of fairy liquid over it now and then.

Plans are just to refurbish the alloys, go over the bodywork and interior and continue using it as a daily driver - whilst maybe adding a few tweaks and tricks along the way. I want to do a few intake things and add a few performance/detail parts but nothing too strenuous.

(Need a horn that goes "Twit-twoo" according to my neighbour... )

(motorway grime! Nice!)

(Needs a good clean still, excuse the detritus. Seats are in remarkably good condition, as are all the electrics. Digidash, trip computers, gauges, info centre, central locking, alarm, aircon, cruise, climate control, power seats, windows, mirrors etc, all in good working order!)

(The ol' TPI mill - a torque monster)

Really nice car to drive, mind. Still can't get over the way it corners, with the Z52 setup and quick-PAS rack! It's also an extremely comfortable and pleasant place to be, cruising on the motorways, in all weathers, enclosed in a snug, warm, stealth-bomber cockpit and with that smallblock gently burbling to itself in the distance.

Haven't had a chance to do anything yet barring clean the glass, pressure-wash it and check all the fluids to make sure it's all in spec.

Got a few bits on order, so hopefully will update this at some point with a few shiny bits :) New head unit, some detail parts, the usual stuff. I'd like to get hold of a weatherstrip kit too, as whilst it's very watertight at the moment the old seals look well past their best. Sods law though that the moment I put new seals on, it'll start to leak.....but then again, most do to some small degree.

Only technical issue that's a pain at the moment is a still-persistent minor PAS leak. A bottle of 'stop-leak' from Lucas has actually slowed it considerably and according to the bottle, 2 are required for major leaks......I'll hold my breath, though. Worst comes to worst, a new rack is relatively cheap, as is the tempting 'Oneturn' performance PAS pump assembly.

Musing on getting a primary cat delete Y-pipe too, to remove the first two cats just leaving the main one. Undecided about that yet though....

Great fun though......put it in 1st, mash the pedal to the floor, the LSD locks up, tail sidesteps and the L98 rips up to the redline in a mix of induction roar, exhaust growl and a haze of unburnt hydrocarbons.

.....with a nice, thick, black set of 11s left on the tarmac.

Just the way we like it :cool:

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Very nice car.
looks in sound condition, just needs a polish as you say....
Do you have to keep the cats? thought pre K reg you are OK to remove them if you can get it through the idle check on the hydro carbons when it is MOT'ed, and most engines you can do that with a bottle of injector cleaner and a couple of tanks of super unleaded just before the MOT if the engine is in generally good condithin and on EFI.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Thanks!

Yea, that's what I'd heard, the only thing is apparently it can get quite boomy and resonant if you just delete all the cats, something I think I suffered from in the 1st one.

I guess a little more research is called for! Be nice to be shot of them though, for that free-flowing effect :lol: Hopefully free up a little MPG too that way....

Runs seemingly clean though so I'm sure there'd be no problem getting through the MOT, no smoke, excessive tailpipe deposits or oil being burnt.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

You could always quieten the exhaust note with a couple of turbos! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike
poppet valves rule!

tetlow
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by tetlow »

Very nice car Lewis.
Dave

Return to “Your Cars”