MK3 Capri 5.0 LASER

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

5.0S-teve

MK3 Capri 5.0 LASER

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Hi guys,

i'm new to the site and just thought i'd post sum pics of my latest project :wink:

She's a 1985 capri 2.0 Laser, 4 previous owners, genuine 75K miles, ALL original panels ( had 3 very small repairs to chassis rail, NS sill and OS rear quarter ) the car cost me £630 a few months ago and came with a fair bit of history too.

here the 5.0L V8 mocked into place for the purpose of measuring up under the bonnet, got the motor off of Ebay complete with AOD box for £435.

as i progress through the build i will post more info up :wink: .

Oh and heres afew pics of my longterm project too.

Dutton Pheaton kitcar with 3.5 Rover V8 in it, should hopefully be running about 250BHP in a car that weighs just over 1/2 ton and should look something like this one when finished:

cheers for looking,

steve

Capri302

Nice

Post by Capri302 »

Very nice :D ,what are you doing about engine mounts and exhaust manifolds?

5.0S-teve

Re: Nice

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Capri302 wrote:Very nice :D ,what are you doing about engine mounts and exhaust manifolds?
Cheers mate :D , My dad has cut original engine mountings off the X-member and made some new ones up to suit, we are putting the block in place this weekend to weld the new mountings on. ( hopefully anyway )

In reguards to the exhaust manifolds, i'm waiting to recieve measurements for a pair of SUMMIT-RACING shorty headers off a Mustang, they look nice and will go well with the other mods i've done.

steve :wink:

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

UPDATE>>>>>>>>

Heres some work thats been carried out lately:

radiator bottom hose access tube that we welded in the front valance.

* heres a piccie to show what i mean *

modified front valance where we've smoothed over some rough areas, still needs some work to get it ready for a quick coat of paris blue to finish it off:

managed to get some measurements for the Radiator/Fan mounting brackets too, so here's a couple of pics of the rad in place:

Outside view:

****** THINK SHE COULD DO WITH A WASH :lol: ******

Valance after a few coats of paint:

engine block and heads in for good.

The white strap round the water-pulley is there to balance the engine as we have'nt put the gearbox in place yet, still need to make a mounting for it.

managed to fit the Nitrous spray plate, carb, airfilter:

got the Mcleod flywheel fitted for good with ARP bolts and the gearbox trial fitted ( we still need to make up a proper mounting for it ) and the choke is now connected up ( just needs a return spring )

so heres a couple of pics:

This is how the capri stands now.

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Well after a couple of weeks wait, the new pushrods ( and other bits such as a racing Fuel pump, regulator and relay switch ) have arrived from the States.

So Today we fitted the Valve lashcaps, new pushrods and Roller tip rockers, heres a piccie of the drivers side:

And here's my new Billet, High output Alternator that i've got for the capri too:

Steve

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Well guys, after promising myself i'd do a photo update for a few weeks, here you go :lol: , the rad and fan are now fixed in place and so is the homemade rad cover too:

Next up, the oil cooler.

steve

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Hi guys, just got abit more done, fitted the Electric Fan Controller and partially wired it up, also fitted the new alternator too:

Also cut the oval cut-out in for the oil cooler pipework, which should be fitted this weekend.

Steve

v8 jago
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8 jago »

Hi steve, Hows things ! Your car is looking very well cant wait to see it out and running. You have made a good job of it, Will we see it running in hot rod challange :?: :D
I saw russ at the weekend. He came to york with joanne and was in a wheel chair. It was a shock seeing him like that but good to see he was in good spirit...
See you at york !! Adam.
Was Rover v8 10.7@122mph, 0-60-3.01sec
Now Blown BigBlock Chevy 9.9@134 upto now on low boost.

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

v8 jago wrote:Hi steve, Hows things ! Your car is looking very well cant wait to see it out and running. You have made a good job of it, Will we see it running in hot rod challange :?: :D
I saw russ at the weekend. He came to york with joanne and was in a wheel chair. It was a shock seeing him like that but good to see he was in good spirit...
See you at york !! Adam.
Cheers Adam, not bad for a 25 year old to be building is it ( i'm not into the tw*t-hatch scene :lol: )

Hopefully I will run it in the Hot rod challange once finished ( early next year )
With any luck the engine will be running over this coming month, got to plumb fuel pump in and other minor jobs, then we can fire her up.
Went to see Russ on Monday, was telling me bout his trip to York, I keep on at him to rebuild Dutton :wink: , so should hopefully see that back at York in the future.

Steve

v8 jago
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8 jago »

[quote="5.0S-teveit ( i'm not into the tw*t-hatch scene :lol: )
[/quote]

Way to go ! There is too many hot hatch twits about. :lol:
Was Rover v8 10.7@122mph, 0-60-3.01sec
Now Blown BigBlock Chevy 9.9@134 upto now on low boost.

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Bit more of an update for you guys, fitted the oil cooler,filled the engine with oil,done abit of work with the exhaust manifolds and started making plans for the new fuel pump.

heres some pics of the oil cooler on place underneath the passenger side headlight:

More to follow,

Steve :wink:

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Hi guys,

No photo updates unfortunately, however we've now fully wired the electric fan controller and the dizzy spark sensor in today, also very nearly finished the G/box mounting and got started on a one-off front strut brace too :wink:

The front section of exhaust should also be welded up by the weekend as well.

Steve :wink:

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Got 90% of the fuel line put in place this morning:

Brake servo in place:

Middle section of exhaust:

And spent the last hour of todays daylight fitting the fuel pump, filter and every fuel line other than the Nitrous one.
Also fitted a fuel cut-off switch that runs off the oil pressure.

More to follow,

Steve

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Clutch,Gearbox and Starter now in place, along with a homemade clutch-arm cover too:

More updates soon,

Steve

5.0S-teve

Post by 5.0S-teve »

Small update for you guys, the Prop-shaft is now balanced and fitted in place ( need to make a loop to protect the car/driver if the prop decides to brake away.
Half of the wiring is sorted out and in place, rest will be finished new years eve, have purchased some plasic wire conduit to house all the wires in, saves taping them all up again :lol:
Connected a battery to the capri and everything other than the heater blower ( which worked when i took the old girl off the road :roll: ) works, even managed to spin the V8 over too :wink:

Aiming for new-years day to be fire-up day.

More updates soon,

Steve

Return to “Your Cars”