Me motor NEW PICS! (updated 12/11/07)

What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mrnice302v8

Me motor NEW PICS! (updated 12/11/07)

Post by mrnice302v8 »

Howdy folks, Tom from Glasgow.
Car- 1984 Capri LS 5.0 litre (302) V8, T5 box, LSD axle fast road car.

The Mule:

1987 302 V8 (non HO but roller cam/hydraulic lifters), 9.5 compression, hoiked from a lincoln town car based limo. As std- 160hp and 250lb/ft torque. A friend in the US says that just ripping off the PAS pump, smog pump, AC pum and crap EFI set-up and replacing it with a std 302 maifold and 4 barrel releases at least 50hp. So I should be about there with the Holley 600 and holley contender dual plane manifold. Wow! 210hp here I come!!:lol:

Strip down revealed pistons, cylinders and top end showed no visible wear. Hooked on the stock ported heads, holley manifold and 600cfm carb for this shot so it'd look pretty.

T5 box with 2 different spurious US bellhousings. Both fit but would need re-drilled to work.

A corner of the 'V8 shelf' in the basement.

I so hope I put all these back where I got them from....

The car recently had a full structural shell inspection and while it looks nice and beat up on the outside it is now solid as a rock underneath after a lot of heavy welding and reinforcing of the chassis rails and floor, followed by judicious amounts of wire-brushing and tetraseal (this car gets abuse all year round)

I'll keep this thread up to date in the hope that it'll make me pull my finger out and make more progress!

Tom
Last edited by mrnice302v8 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Welcome Tom, nice car...

One thing, can you pls re-do your sig - rules say 300x100px please mate, ta.

chrismc
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chrismc »

Looks Good!! 8)

Car- 1984 Capri LS 5.0 litre (302) V8, T5 box, LSD axle

How much of this is actually fitted to the car?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Is that a UK market car?, or from South Africa or some other place. The front grille looks very unusual.

Nice though, bet it shifts!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

it looks like a mk2 front grill has been fitted.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

mrnice302v8

cool

Post by mrnice302v8 »

Okay, so the car is still powered by a 2.8 cologne with 38 dgas, ported heads, leccy ignition etc and type 9 box. Hope this is okay :shock: . Although the engine isn't fitted yet I felt the forum will be most useful at this point while I'm figuring out the conundrum of joining a euro WC T5 to a us bellhousing and 302. Also it's a common conversion so I felt as I overcome problems I can hopefully be of help to a few folk.

302 is in bits in my basement having new rings, main caps fitted, plus ported E7TE heads (fully rebuilt), holley 600 carb, holley contender dual plane manifold and HEI dizzy, along with the T5 and various clutch gubbins from ford and range rover to join the 2.

So far on the car I have a 3.09-1 LSD axle with heavy bracing to the front of the single leafes (home made heavy stuff-not the usual thin guage A-frame) for handling and soft setting coil-overs will replace the shocks. The battery tray has been removed and batt placed in the boot, front of engine bay hacked back and brand new scorpio turbo deisel rad fitted right at the front with range rover 12' leccy fan with adjustable thermo switch.

Going to yorkshire in a month for my uncle to cut and weld crust on chassis rails and lengthen them to bridge gap between the front and rear ones promoting chassis stiffness. a heavy bolt-on bar will bridge the gap between inner wings at the front above the rad support to restore any strength lost when removing old rad support and all engine bay corners triangulated. Not planning on a strut brace as they tend to get in the way.

after a roll cage too asap

Car is a 1984 1.6 LS (2.8), with side moldings removed, mk2 grille, bumpers and rear lights, all old mounting holes welded up, GM chevy el camino sport mirrors, laguna front splitter (i know- yawn), tailgate and bonnet are fibreglass. Indicators moved to inner wings and bmw mini (yech) fogs. Nice tatty recaro interior.

Thats about it, I spend most of my time on the 302 so it should be rumbling around by next spring
cheers,
Tom

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

The Euro T5 conundrum can be solved at Real Steel, Thay have a bellhousing to do the mix and match
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

mrnice302v8

Post by mrnice302v8 »

hmmm, cheers, will check that out, only i have 2 bellhousings here that just need re-drilled, so have to weigh up costs,
thanks,
Tom

mrnice302v8

LATEST UPDATE

Post by mrnice302v8 »

I've ordered some high-pressure fuel line, a red top facet pump, afilter king regulator and a new 1.6 capri spec :lol: fuel sender.

In the next week I'll be replacing the sender, mounting the pump in the boot, routing the fuel lines through the middle of the car and mounting the filter king (It'll have to be adjusted for lower pressure for the current weedy little webber carb and 2.8 V6), just need to push the radiator futher forward in the engine bay by an inch, mount the electric hydraulic PAS pump and the car will be more or less ready to accept the 302 V8. Can't wait. My dream of getting it roadworthy by next summer might come true after all...

Will post some pics of the work in the appropriate section when I'm done

Return to “Your Cars”