What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

1986 Chevrolet Corvette

Post by Lewis »

Well, I needed something a bit more comfortable and effortless to do my driving in on a daily basis, so set out to find something. Unlike the Stag, I'll be keeping this for a loooong while yet, at least two months :lol:

Introducing the most logical answer possible......

Shazam!

*Ahem*

Well.......Yes, OK, so maybe a 5.7 litre, manual (with overdrive) Corvette which as standard makes 330ft.lb doesn't seem the most logical idea but trust me on this one!

The 350ci V8:

Switches!

Cupholders....Extravagance!

The view through the plexi roof (which comes off, it's a targa top this one :))

Rear 'load' bay with underfloor storage and a spare in there too...

Very comfortable, supportive and completely electric seats!

What I'm getting so far:

Which isn't bad - this is all around town work and I haven't worked out how to get the best from it yet. On cruise you see 30/35 on the gauge, wether that's accurate or not I'll find out....It's US gallons as well...

Last but not least!

My fuel status (green bar graph). Very retro!

Waiting to see how quickly this goes down :D

Great motor though, few things that need fettling (stereo & central locking) but otherwise a fantastic bit of kit. I really like it :) (can you tell!)

Absolutely loaded though - cruise control, electric windows, seats, remote hatch release, heated mirrors, electric mirrors, top quality hifi, central locking, air con........

Thing that I like most is the fact is that it is as good as it looks - the paint/bodywork is immaculate. Need to go through the interior with a brush and tidy it up a bit too :)

Few swirls though, could do with a decent wax and polish.

Absolutely eats up the miles though and looking forward to putting them on :)

Should be entertaining, at least. Great machine to drive though, no body roll, just grips and goes. Typical Corvette though, it does crash a bit over the bumps (American 80's concept of handling = rock solid shocks/dampers). It is Lotus developed though and it certainly handles well, there's no body roll whatsoever, it's quite eery!

It's like piloting a bomber.....Rows of switches, the noise, the dash, the cocooned cockpit - it's great fun :)

Still getting used to it though, lots of little differences (like a flyoff handbrake) and it's quite a big car - probably the same size as the Stag.

There are some good bits of technology in it that I keep finding too - I was going around MK and after coming off a roundabout, after about 500 yards it went 'bingbingbing!' at me - looked down and my indicator was still on (as the steering hadn't moved enough to self cancel!).

Still, I do keep expecting it to go "Hello, Micheal", at any moment (despite being entirely the wrong car :lol: )

Just a quick vid I did couple of days ago:

Love it!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Hooray!

another Chebby and it's real Detroit iron (not that LS monkey metal :D )

Seriously, I've never looked at them due to the 80's connotations of gold chains and excess chest hair (neither of which I own) but yours has made me sit up and take notice. I love the switchgear and instruments, they're so retro it almost hurts. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Love it :D :D :D

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Thanks!
gold chains and excess chest hair
Did cross my mind :lol: - however, bought it for the car and not the lifestyle!

Engine's had a few simple mods so far that I've found - things like a throttle body aerofoil and modified fuel pressure. I'm going to get it rolling roaded soon though for a baseline figure to work on improving with some gentle bolt ones. I might consider getting some aftermarket heads at a later point as well :)

This week I shall mostly be cutting & drilling the airbox to improve the flow, as recommended by the Corvette forums. Might 'descreen' the MAF filter as well (as it has two hefty plastic filters in it, all after the main airfilter :?: . This is also a well reputed mod for some free performance :)

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Lewis you're gonna love that glass roof when you're at the lights. Had one in an Esprit I used to have, could see more out the top than out the back!

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

You're not much older than me.... whats insurance like??
*goes straight to autotrader*
Image -JC.

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Insurance is just a shade under 600 quid with Adrian Flux (who I've been with some time now over 4 cars). It's only TPFT though - I'm over halfway thro my policy and changing now wasn't worthwhile :)

Lovely cars to drive, don't like passing petrol stations though :lol:

Return to “Your Cars”