Disco keeps loosing power and cutting out on lpg

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

davem3man

Disco keeps loosing power and cutting out on lpg

Post by davem3man »

Hi all i am new to lpg so hope you guys can help me.
I have a 1994 3.9 disco with bedini lpg system twin under slung tanks,37 ltrs each tank,installed by rpi.engineering.
First problem when driving on lpg the car will loose power like it is running out of gas,this happens randamly hot or cold.i flick to petrol and works ok then back to gas and works ok too,till it starts again.it happens when driving round town(slow)and on long run(cruising speed).I have had the car for a month now and it started happing about two weeks ago.The car has had a new vapariser fitted just before i bought it.the car runs spot on on petrol.It also back fires when loosing power(starved off fuel i think).

Second problem is mpg,75 litrs off lpg = 130 miles if i am lucky,about 8 miles a gallon.

Please help :(

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Could be one of the solenoids (on the tank, or under-bonnet, or on vapouriser). Or the filter in the solenoid.

Does sound like LPG starvation.

Does the vapouriser get covered in frost just before it happens? If so, there's not enough water getting to it (or it's got an airlock)

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

davem3man

Post by davem3man »

no frost on vapouriser,how can i test solenoids?.Just taken wife to work about ten miles and it started again.had a look under bonnet no frost,idle was racing 2000 rpm then droped of slowly till it cut out..Cheers

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Testing is more difficult!, what you really need is a pressure gauge tee'd in-line so you can see if the delivery pressure is dropping away. But how you do that DIY I'm not sure. Some LPG systems have diagnostics that let you monitor it, but they are the more sophisticated ECU type ones.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “LPG Section”