Install help please.

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nath

Install help please.

Post by nath »

Hi
I have a 1948 ford f-1 pickup fitted with a 350 sbc v8.

I got a lpg kit but have only just got round to fitting it this year after sitting in the garage for a couple of years.

Problem!! Mice have demolished all the instructions & the company I got the kit from is no more.

I have figured out most but have a couple of questions.

1. i have a high performance moving plate mixer that lifts the plate via vacume when on petrol & lowers it when on lpg via a solenoid & one way valve. I understand how it works & how the lpg connects to the mixer. What I dont understand is that there is another elbow feed that runs directly into the mixer that is a smaller diameter than the main lpg feed. I cant figure what if anything should be fitted to it.

2. On the multivalve (voltran) ther is a inlet valve & outlet valve. Should these both be fully unscrewed to allow filling & lpg out?

3. on the same multivalve there is another what looks like a valve to the top of the unit. Is this another adjustment or is it a vent to let gas escape in a accident?

4. The controller has 2 feeds one for the coil & one with a inline fuse. Should the one with the fuse be a permanent live regardless of ignition possition? Again its a voltran unit 6.11.00.001

Thanks
Nath

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

3 - this is probably a pressure relief valve. When you fill an LPG tank, it should always have a vapour gap at the top for the liquid to expand into as the tank heats up (e.g. hot day). If you don't have this air gap, and no pressure relief valve, the tank will rupture under hydraulic pressure. This valve lets excess pressure bleed off under these unusual circumstances.

4 - Does this controller include the changeover switch? If not, this feed maybe comes from the changeover switch. If it does have a changeover switch built in, I would think this feed comes from the ignition supply.

Probably some pics would help sort out the questions.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

nath

Post by nath »

Hi Chris
Yes it does include the changeover switch.

I will try & post some pictures to clear up the other problems.

Thanks
Nath

nath

Setup

Post by nath »

Hi
I have managed to figure it all out & she is up & running.

Nevertheless I could do with some help on the fine tuning side.

As far as I can see I have 2 adjustments. One idle screw on the vaporiser & the large screw on the main feed as it goes into the mixer.

How do I go about adjusting them to get the best out of the lpg.

Thanks
Nath

badger
Getting There
Getting There

Post by badger »

1. Stick exhaust gas analyser probe up exhaust and stabilise rpm to approx. 3000.
2. Adjust main flow adjuster to get a CO reading of about 1.0% to 2.0%.
3. Allow engine to idle and adjust idle mixture screw on vapouriser until analyser reads 1.5% to 2.5%.
4. Raise rpm back to 3000 and check figure, adjust if required, reduce rpm to idle and adjust if required, repeating process until all is good.
(A small adjustment at the main adjuster has a big effect on the idle mixture, but it takes a big adjustment at idle to effect the main)
Happy tweaking.
Badger.
"Real sport has 8 spark plugs"
www.roverv8engines.co.uk

Return to “LPG Section”