lpg kit help

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

star100

lpg kit help

Post by star100 »

Hi every one im needing some advice and help. I sold a discovery on LPG which had loads of running problems. I now want to buy another discovery or range rover and thought about buying an LPG kit and fitting it myself with help from a friend....Can you tell me what's involved when fitting LPG?... Also what kit would be best to use?...... And where do i get one from?.... Is there any makes that are better than others?.... Is there anywhere i can get a manual for fitting LPG?..... Or is it best to get a garage to fit a kit for me, or even anyone else on here that fits kits??

Sorry for 20 questions but i would rather get it right then wrong, so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks Sarah

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

very much depands of what engine you have .. i have a rover V8 with a flapper EFI system
and i fitted my own LPG kit ...easy
remember it's only a bodge if it DOSN'T worK

star100

Post by star100 »

Thanks for the reply....Ummm well i will probably buy the discovery with the 3.9 v8 engine, but i have no idea what system that is. Do you have any problems with yours?.....How much did it cost you to do it?

Distant Dreamer

LPG KITS

Post by Distant Dreamer »

Autogas worldwide sell kits for DIY fitting or for you to let a garage fit. 01633 894 070. www.autogasworldwide.co.uk I paid £570 for a carburetor system with 2 x 100L tanks. in March this year. Fitting is striate forward depending on your skills. Fuel injection kits are more work as there are more electrics involved in fitting them. You have to be systematic and do one task at a time, fitting the tank and doing the pipe and wire runs are the worst part of the job. (in my opinion). I took my vehicle back to the work shops after conversion and they checked it out and gave me a safety certificate, usual cost £50. F E S Gas www.fesautogas.co.uk is another company I have used in the past, they will also supply fitting instructions, both companies will post kits. Providing there were no serious problems with your old Discovery, your poor running problems may have been down to a blocked filter in the gas solenoid or fatty deposits in the vaporizer from the LPG. The vaporizer is not a fit and forget item, depending on mileage, it may need replacing every 3-4 years. The information supplied is given in good faith and based on my on experiences, I hope it is of use. :)

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

star100 wrote:Thanks for the reply....Ummm well i will probably buy the discovery with the 3.9 v8 engine, but i have no idea what system that is. Do you have any problems with yours?.....How much did it cost you to do it?

a 3.9 is likely to have a HOTWIRE setup
mine is a very basic LPG system , tank , a couple of solnoid valves , a vaporiser , a change over switch and a plenum mixer
very simple to fit and i very rarely run on petrol , it works a treat
cost me about £60.00 + £50 for certificate
all second hand on ebay
you don't need anything fancy on the V8 , it has so much in reserve

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Since you're in Huntingdon, try Tinley Tech.
Give them a call.

As stated before, hotwire conversions are more tricky than earlier flapper / carb versions because you have to 'fool' the ECU into thinking that it's running on petrol still. Upshot = more expensive kit.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

hi chris , can't you just switch the ECU off when it's on gas as it's is seperate from the ignition ?

that basiclly what i have done by switching off the ecu signal wire from the coil neg terminal

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You can certainly do that with the flapper system as the overrun cutoff switch does precisely that when you're coasting.

However, the hotwire conversion is more sophisticated (I don't know why), so the normal method is to have injector emulators and a second ECU. But it's quite possible that all this expense is simply to ensure that the ECU warning light stays out. Or it might be to do with the idle speed control mechanism as well.
To be honest, I've never done it, so I'm not sure.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “LPG Section”