Tuning Landi LSE98 with AEB WOLF 526 on 3.9 V8 Discovery

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Utemad

Tuning Landi LSE98 with AEB WOLF 526 on 3.9 V8 Discovery

Post by Utemad »

Hi guys.

First post.

I've got a Landi LSE98 on my 1994 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 with 14CUX EFI.
I'm trying to get it to work with an AEB WOLF 526 ignition advance unit.

The LPG runs fine without the unit at 10d BTDC advance on the distributor (as does petrol).
However when I connect the WOLF and try to advance the LPG timing the idle plays up. It will idle reasonably ok (not quite smooth) but every few seconds the revs will drop out and then pick up just before it stalls.

I had it running kind of ok on 16d LPG advance but since then I played with it trying to get more advance (22d) and never got it right since.

It seems that the mixture screw on the LSE98 has to be screwed in more for more advance to get it to not judder violently on moving off from idle.

There is a switch that is meant to cut out the extra advance below 1100g/m but this doesn't seem to have any affect (what is g/m?).

This is my first LPG vehicle and I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated.

Most of this relates to idle. Once moving it is fine on 16d but on 22d it is not 100% smooth. Quite noticeable extra power though.

Thanks.

Dangerdoc

LPG Timing

Post by Dangerdoc »

Hi,

You have to be careful with LPG advance. As the LPG has a slower flame front then you are correct in trying to get as much advance as possible.

When back to petrol however the timing should really be retarded by a good 10 deg.

If you are using an electronic system and setting it up to operate so that you are trying to advance the timing when switched to LPG then you will have trouble.

However - set the timing up to get the mad advance on LPG without pinking when going up a moderate hill and then use an electronic box of toys to delay the timing when it detects that you are back on petrol

Systems are notoriously difficult to set up. What type of LPG system are you using.

Check out http:///www.rpiv8.com these guys in Norfolk UK are total wizards and have solved many a dual problem with timing and are real experts.

I am not advertising for them in any way just trust the team there from personal experience.

They do a product that allows "advance by retard" and you should read up on this.

Give them a call and discuss your needs as they may be able to really help a lot.

Doc

Utemad

Post by Utemad »

Thanks for that.

I didn't see this earlier as I didn't get a notification (box is checked to get one though).

I seem to have sorted the unit out. The manual says to set the switches a certain way to switch the unit off at idle. However that didn't help. If you set the switches opposite to what they say however then all is well and the unit is off at idle.

Given the cost of fuel in Oz (cheap compared to yours though) I'm considering going to straight LPG. Removing the petrol tank and fitting the twin LPG tank in its place for added LPG range. This would make this unit irrelevant anyway.

I'm using the old style mixer setup. The LPG injection with computer etc is not particularly common in Australia. Getting more so but still rarely seen.

Currently running 10d BTDC on ULP (used to be 12) and 16 on LPG. Will bump the LPG timing up to 20 and see how it goes this weekend (900km trip).

Return to “LPG Section”