Gas consumption range rover 3.9 !!

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

wayno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Gas consumption range rover 3.9 !!

Post by wayno »

When i first bought my rangie a full tank of gas (approx 45 litres) would get me in the region of 120-150 miles.

If i do my maths correctly thats 12-15mpg. More recently it seems to have dropped to around 90 miles on a full tank (9mpg).

My driving style still remains the same. What figure would be acceptable for my car.

Could it be down to the vapouriser ? Someone has told me to try changing the filters ??

softdash3.9
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Gas consumption range rover 3.9 !!

Post by softdash3.9 »

wayno wrote:If i do my maths correctly thats 12-15
Is about right, well it's what I get in my 3.9 RR

@12mpg round the doors, @15-6mpg on a run, 12mpg towing trailer/caravan
Regards
Royston

wayno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by wayno »

Ok thanks for the advice thinking of getting a new vapourizer anyway as it sometimes doesnt run as nice as it should do.
Chap on ebay sells them for £60 rated for larger engines.

LazyDocker

Post by LazyDocker »

Figures sound good... I get approx 12 round town and as much as 15.5ish on a run from my 3.5. Mind you it is very flat here in Suffolk!!!

I recently pulled my trailer tent back from Cornwall and got just over 14 fully laden from a 10 day break!!

As far as vaporiser goes... Be careful what you get... Some are better suited than others. What system have you got? I personally would start by changing the filters and then look at a service kit for the vaporiser.

If you do go for the vaporiser then the OMVL R30E (I think) tandem vaporiser comes very highly recommended BUT they are a little more expensive and very fragile in event of backfire. I run a BiGas M84 vaporiser as recommended by Tinley Tech in Cambridge as a cheaper, slightly more hardy version and don't have any problems at all (touch wood!!!) All I did was service it when I got it (second hand) and I think all in it's cost me about £30. I would advise you got a new one though as they are only about £70 I think.

Also, check your ignition system regularly for best results. I bought a set of Formula Power 10mm leads, as advertised on here, and have never looked back!

wayno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by wayno »

Got a new vapouriser on order. Whats the best way to get it all set up and running correct.

What adjustments are there ? I know my way around a gas analyser, what should the CO be set to ?

Just hope this gets my fuel consumption back to how it used to be !

wayno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by wayno »

vapouriser has been ordered from tinley tech today whats the set up procedure.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Setup is complex - TinleyTech will supply you with the written procedure if you ask them.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

wayno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by wayno »

Filters ? where are they situated

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

when I had my RR on gas among the delights was a load of gas with water in it, ran even more like a dog and drank the stuff more than usual. I had to have the whole lot drained and all the filters changed. 110 liters of gas into the atmosphere (I had 2 tanks to get some range) and £45 worth of filters and another £70 to the cowboy that fitted the system.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I don't have any filters on mine as such. There's a gauze in the fuel supply solenoid, but that's it!

Maybe injected systems have them, I don't know.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Mine was a ventury set up (mixer) not injection, a filter in each tank, another one just before the vaporiser.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

diamond dave

Post by diamond dave »

My Disco is good for 230 ish miles on motorways, which at 57lt fill works out around 18 mpg.
Could do with getting the system serviced & set up again as the fill point bracket has rusted through & needs replaced. Hopefully see 20 mpg afterwards.

Return to “LPG Section”