Removing lpg tank range rover

Any posts regarding LPG to be posted here ONLY please.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

wayno
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Removing lpg tank range rover

Post by wayno »

Noticed tonight that my n/s underslung lpg tank (along sill) has a securing strap broken from the front.

Ive now ordered a pair of new stainless jobbies to prevent the same occuring again just after a little advice in the best way to change then. Ideally i want to completely remove the tank so i can patch part of the sill whilst its out.

The tanks are currently empty anyway but are there any precautions i need to take. i also believe there is a lock off valve fitted that needs to be screwed in before removing the pipe

LazyDocker

Post by LazyDocker »

Wayno,

As far as I'm aware the following is correct, although someone will probably correct me!

Although the tanks are "empty" they will in fact still be full of gas vapour, they will just be at a lower pressure now so wont flow.

There may well be a manual shut off, in which case close it, but just be aware that when you undo the pipes there will be a discharge of gas vapour so do it in a well ventilated area and away from sources of ignition etc...

diamond dave

Post by diamond dave »

LazyDocker wrote:Wayno,

As far as I'm aware the following is correct, although someone will probably correct me!

Although the tanks are "empty" they will in fact still be full of gas vapour, they will just be at a lower pressure now so wont flow.

There may well be a manual shut off, in which case close it, but just be aware that when you undo the pipes there will be a discharge of gas vapour so do it in a well ventilated area and away from sources of ignition etc...

Yes, you are very right, the tanks will still have vapour.
I know it's not very enviroment friendly, but just vent it slowly into the atmosphere from the pipe you want to remove. Bail out as they're venting, cos you'll get a crackin' buzz if you breathe in too much of the vapour :wink:
Better off replacing both sets of straps whilst you're there... it's time well spent, as you can check the condition of the other sill & repair if neccessary.
Drop each tank down seperately on a jack, easier to remove of you have a nut splitter or similar.
It's also good time to rub down both tanks & treat with something like hammerite.

Return to “LPG Section”