Rotrex C38 on my 5.4L RV8

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Took it out for a little run today.

Using the 110mm pulley its hit 5.5PSI of boost at 6000RPM. In theory it should have hit 7.5PSI, so I've lost a couple of PSI in the pipework or my calculations arent perfect. (probably both)

Problem I have now is that the 350cc injectors I have can't cope, so I'm going to order some 380cc from the States.

Once these are installed I will fit the 100mm pulley and this should get me up to 7-8PSI, which is about as far as I want to go. I have to confess its pretty rapid anyhow, far faster than I can deal with.

The charge cooler works increadably well, it averages around 30 degree reduction. The blowers hottest outlet temp was 59C, at this time the outlet from the chargecooler was 29C.

Phil

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I can recommend the Bosch injectors 0280155968. 450cc and the newer multi hole design which better atomised the fuel than the old pintle type. (according the the marketing BS!)
Good price as well, cheaper than smaller cc versions as well.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

350's to 380's - thats not much of an increase - you might end up having to upgrade again.
I went from 24's to 60' pounders in the dakar when i fitted the turbos - well over sized, but they work really well.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Yeah, I ran out of fuel straight away on the 36LB injectors, Ive got some 470cc coming today. I nearly ordered some 60LB, but decided against it. If I get close on these then I will go to 60LB

This is costing me more in injectors than in fuel right now :(

Phil

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

I did say go for 42lb's, don't make me get the "told you so" t-shirt out!!! :P :P

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Cobratone wrote:I did say go for 42lb's, don't make me get the "told you so" t-shirt out!!! :P :P
Yeah yeah yeah :(

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Well it doesnt run out of fuel now, but it is close at 90% duty!! (using 470cc)

My mate made me a block that clamped onto an open pipe (just after the blower) so I could pressurize the inlet. This really helped me find a lot of leaks. Even the back of the idle valve leaked!

Pressure is 6.5PSI at 6000RPM now, which is about as much as I want to give it at 10.44:1cr. Dont know what to do next if I get bored, but it keeps up with traffic ok. Estimate around 430-470BHP. No real idea, will probably get it on the dyno soon.

Phil

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

daxtojeiro wrote:Well it doesnt run out of fuel now, but it is close at 90% duty!! (using 470cc)
Cough cough I win!
Siemens Deka 60Lb'ers is what you want - i dont think i've gone much over 60% dc so far.
Eliot Mansfield

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

My mate made me a block that clamped onto an open pipe (just after the blower) so I could pressurize the inlet. This really helped me find a lot of leaks. Even the back of the idle valve leaked!
I've thought about doing this but how did you do it? as there will be a valve or two open into the exhaust?

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

SuperV8 wrote:
I've thought about doing this but how did you do it? as there will be a valve or two open into the exhaust?

Tom.
Hi,
it doesnt seem to matter to be honest. It works really well, Ive found half a PSI,

Phil

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Phil, was wondering if the wastegate idea was sucessful. DId you plan to use something like an N75 valve controlled via MS to perform the boost control?

regards
Reg

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Hi,
I didnt get enough boost to try it so I have removed it. I got up to 6.5PSI, the waste gate was set for 7.5 as I feel that would be the limit at my compression ratio. To be honest I may never try it as I dont feel any more boost is needed now. But you never know ;)

Phil

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

daxtojeiro wrote:Hi,
I dont feel any more boost is needed now. l
Quoted for prosterity.
:)
Eliot Mansfield

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Eliot wrote:
daxtojeiro wrote:Hi,
I dont feel any more boost is needed now. l
Quoted for prosterity.
:)
I will deny saying that in 6 months time :)

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Phil, can I ask how you control idle on your engine. Looking at your setup may have just exposed an issue with mine as I use a a valve controlled by the ECU and am now wondering if it fully closes when on boost. Was wondering about a one way valve on its inlet but not sure what I could use

Return to “Forced Induction”