What supercharger?

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mongman

What supercharger?

Post by Mongman »

Looking at getting a supercharger for the rover v8 with the weber 500 but not sure what will fit or best etc. How much roughly for a decent one and precautions before chosing.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
if it has to be used with a 4 barrel then it looks like you are stuck with a roots blower, therefor a 3-71 or a 4-71 depending on engine size and how much boost you want, budget between £2000 and £2500 for a kit ready to bolt on.
If you are prepared to go away from a 4 barrel then a centrifugal blower is much smaller.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

You can use a different type of charger and make/get a top hat type plenum for your carb, this would make it blow through but you may have to modify the carb and personally I'm not really a fan!

As Mike says, with a 4bbl you don't have many options and GMC blowers are bloody huge.
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
yes I know quite alot of american set ups are blow through 4 barrels, just they are such a lousey solution to getting fuel into an engine that I don't even consider them an utter bodge!
if it has to package into a small space then s centrifugal blower, injection fueling and megasquirt would be the best solution, otherwise just cut a big hole in the bonnet, can't think of anyone who would use that as a solution :lol: :lol: :shock:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
looks like another "seagull" poster, flies in dumps something on the forum flies off never to reply to the thead he started.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

kiwicar wrote: otherwise just cut a big hole in the bonnet, can't think of anyone who would use that as a solution :lol: :lol: :shock:
Don't know who you could mean!
TC

Mongman

Post by Mongman »

Was just a passing interest as i saw chargers on ebay saying they were for the rover v8 and curious how good they were. May just go for better cams and a few engine tweeks.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Mongman wrote:Was just a passing interest as i saw chargers on ebay saying they were for the rover v8 and curious how good they were. May just go for better cams and a few engine tweeks.
I tried that and it got expensive to find a few extra hp.... Cost me about £1500 on engine tweaks to get my old 3500 MGB V8 up from 130hp to 187hp.

But then I fitted a stock 4.6 RV8. This makes 202hp on the carb.
Then I fitted the GMC 4/71 blower and at half boost of 7psi she makes 350hp with 500 ft/lbs of torque.

Get a loan, fit the full blower kit and have some fun :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Mongman

Post by Mongman »

Don't tempt me. Getting inheritance next year and with the house and a new bike i'll be in a spending mood and some upgrade bits will be tempting.

Return to “Forced Induction”